Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What do you look for in Ladder stands? >

What do you look for in Ladder stands?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you look for in Ladder stands?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

foot rests are the #1 thing for me. i can sit all day long if it's got a foot rest. otherwise, i'd watch out for the real small, narrow platforms. they are hard to turn around in and they can be a tight fit to sit in (and i'm only 6' 185 pounds).
Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I always upgrade the included hardware - spend a little extra money and get stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers... especially if you leave it out for the entire season / year round. Otherwise, you'll be replacing hardware every 3 or 4 years.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly I don't think anybody offers a good ladder stand anymore. I bought two Rivers Edge Ladder Stands, two years ago for $80 each, 15' to the platform 17' to the seat. The platform comes with a nice pad and the seat folds up. The platform is full size, so when you fold up the seat you can lean against the tree and have plenty to room. It doesn't have any rails, arm rests or foot rests and it is very quiet, like being in a lock on. They don't make them anymore and I have not been able to find anything similar to them in that price range. Seems like all the stands available today, have a bunch of junk to get in the way with high price tags. All that extra stuff is not good for archery hunting except the footrest really doesn't matter.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jimmy hit a good one. I have packed them before, not easy. Might want to give that a thought. Places with pines could use them.