Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

I bowhunt out of an Eastman. Don't want to shell out the cash for a DB and it works just fine. I only bowhunt out of it on public land hunts, most of my hunting is done on private land out of trees. The one I have has shoot through mesh windows so there is no zipping and unzipping other than when you first put it out. Just make sure if you use this to have fixed blade broadheads. Never tried to shoot a mech. through the window, but I'd hate for it to make the blades deploy and mess up a shot at a deer.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Spike

What about the killzone "no detect" camo pattern? They are out of the other camo pattern
Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I just got my killzone Turret XL and one of the fiberglass poles broke while I was setting it up. We will see how Killzone Hunting Outfitters customer service is. It looks like it will be a great blind for the price as long as they make good on it.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I just got word from Killzone that they are sending the replacement parts first thing Monday. No questions asked. So far, awsome customer service!!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

I got a Yukon Tracks Prowler $70) for my new spot and I really like it. You can tell its cheaper than my GroundMax blinds but I like the slot style windows better and there are no zippers other than the door so you can silently change all the window setups from the inside as needed. Again, its not made out of the most quality materials but I'd bet it'll last me about 5 years or so with the proper care (leaving it out all season) and that's a good deal for the price.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing to consider, do you have some spots that will be fairly "permanent." Traditional sweet spots along field edges and so on? If so, and you can leave it there year round, you might consider building one. I know guys who have (and I am considering doing so) built blinds out of heavy duty wire fencing panels that you can bend into a circle. The fencing becomes the frame, shapped like a hay bale on the edge of a field. They cover the whole thing with black plastic (so it stays nice and dark/no shadows), then burlap and camo paint the whole deal or cover it with hay, grass or whatever matches the surrounding. Usually much less than a quality hub style blind in price (maybe $50-$75 in materials max), much more solid and blends in better. You can get 3-4 people in them sometimes so beginning bowhunters can tag along. Again, not very portable but nice if you have the spot picked out and can leave it there.

P.S. A good idea for the windows in those situations is to affix replacement screens you can buy for a hub style blind. Or strips of camo ghilie material via a curain mechanism you can push aside when the time is right. No black porthole effect.