Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 spring bear hunts >

spring bear hunts

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spring bear hunts

Old 07-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default spring bear hunts

I am still looking for a spring bear hunt were I can have a good chance of taking a quality bear. Does anyone have any first hand information?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: spring bear hunts

KWR, I hunted spring bears with an outfitter out of Maine called Turnpike Ridge Outfitters. They hunt Quebec for spring bears and to say the least. They were a top quality outfitter. In today' s world, I would have been scared to death to book a spring hunt because of all the horror stories you hear....my Mother' s new husband hunted with them many years so I booked a hunt. I took my bear on the second night in the stand. 6 of 8 in camp took bears, the 7th guy hit two with a bow and no recovery, the 8th....well he wouldn' t get a bear if they tied one up for him....The week before us (different camp) were 6 of 8 as well.

The way Don works his camp is...there are 3 sites set out for each hunter in camp all active. No one hunts your setups before you or after you unless someone wishes to try your site once you tag out. Exceptionall bear hunting. I don' t have the number with me at this time. Perhaps a check on the web can find them for you.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Rob-What size were the bears taken?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:53 PM

If you are interested in spot and stalk SE Alaska is fantastic. I went last year and spotted the bears from a boat , then beach the boat a ways away and stalked them right on the beach. We were in Petersburg but there are a lot of good locations around Wrangell or any of the islands in that area. It was the biggest rush I could ever imagine. My bear was 6 feet 10 in with a 18 15/16 skull. My father in laws was 6 feet 7 in with a 18 3/16 skull, his was with a rifle. We also took in some nice salmon fishing and crab potting while we were there. For my money I got a lot more out of this hunt than I would have gotten sitting over bait. But it was also a little more money.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Angus-Could you give me some info on this trip? It sounds like something I would really be interested in.