Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 AAE or Bohning Vanes?? >

AAE or Bohning Vanes??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

AAE or Bohning Vanes??

Old 07-08-2003, 08:53 PM

Default AAE or Bohning Vanes??

I need some of ya' ll' s (quick) advice. I will order some plastic fletchings tommorow and was wondering which brand you like better, AAE or Bohning. I will be using helical w/ 4" vanes. Also what is some good glue to use on carbons. My friend has been using some glue (fastset gel by AAE). It sets up really fast but I don' t like the outcome. The glue resembles (super glue), it leaves a hard residue with a lot of white streaking anwhere the glue touches. Thanks in advance.

LAHUNTER
Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AAE or Bohning Vanes??

I have been using bohning for the last three years and recently ordered some duravanes. Not too happy with the way the bohnings get tears on the tips when passing through my Whisker biscuit.
BUT, plenty of people love them, I' m just gonna try something else.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:54 PM

I have used the AAE vanes the last two years, but am switching to Duravanes this season. The AAE' s seem to tear easily. I' m using Bohning Fletch Tite II
Old 07-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bohning fletch tite for carbons cost me a bunch of fletchings a month ago or so. I guess sitting outside on my bench in the heat changed it' s chemical make up or something. I fletched up some arrows (same way I always do) not realizing the glue went bad and watched as 2 out of three of the fletchings would fly off each arrow when it hit the target!!

The fastset glues they' re selling as archery glue has the same main ingredient as gel super glue. Read the packages. You can pick the same stuff up at Walgreens or Eckards for a lot cheaper.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I use AAE' s myself. If your getting white residue from Fastset, you' re using too much. Just a small bead, about half the width of the base of the vane is needed. Fastset is all I use anymore, and it always gives me great results.
Charlie
Old 07-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The vane you prefer depends on your situation. AAE are lighter, slightly textured, and softer than Bohning. For a shoot through rest or a drop away, they will work well. I shot AAE with a Centerest Flipper with very good results. The base is wider than Bohnings, and they treat the base with something so that you can just put the fletching cement on without using a degreaser like you need with Bohnings. They would be my choice, EXCEPT that I am now using a Whisker Biscuit. The AAE vanes are softer, and get curly and ripple faster than a firmer vane like the Bohnings. I have not had too many problems with the Bohnings and the biscuit yet, but I just started shooting them. IMO, Bohning must use some kind of mold release agent on their vanes that is still on the base when you buy them. You need to use a degreaser like acetone or lacquer thinner on them to get them to stick well, at least I do.[&:] I just got some Bohnings, but I am seriously thinking about getting some Duravanes. Some of the arrows that came with my Bowtech had some type of vanes that I have not seen before, and the others had AAE' s. I can tell you that I am looking to buy some of the " mystery" vanes. They are the best I have seen yet.

Oh yea, I use Saunder NPV fletching cement. No problems here. The Fastset gel is good too, but as someone else mentioned, don' t use too much.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:44 PM

Duravanes,Loctite superglue gel,no problems.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:49 PM

I have been using the Easten Diamond vanes with the fast gel for the last 5 or 6 years with great success. They are the same as the AAE' s but have the small " e" on them. The fastset gel will leave a white residue on the shaft if you use too much. Only a very small bead is needed. I like to have plenty of Q-tips around while fletching so if any glue comes out under the vane you can immediatly wipe if off. I also use white arrow wraps on my arrows so I won' t see the white residue anyway.