HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Natural Funnell?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/329464-natural-funnell.html)

Huntingtherut 09-10-2010 08:46 AM

Natural Funnell??

2 Attachment(s)
Would you consider my stand location to be in a natural funnell? Im not sure where there bedding area is (afraid to walk around this close to season), but it seems that this is the only place to cross to get to corn or other large woods without crossing open fields. The creek bottom (black line) is in a small ravine which is slightly lower elevation than its surroundings. My stand is the white box with an X in it. The second map gives a better view of the surroundings without being labeled. Any input would be great!!

chris149 09-10-2010 09:01 AM

Yes it would be a natural funnel like a fence row, tree lines, a hole or low spot in a fence were they cross ect. are all consider funnels along with hundreds more.

gbrownlee 09-10-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Huntingtherut (Post 3679512)
Would you consider my stand location to be in a natural funnell? Im not sure where there bedding area is (afraid to walk around this close to season), but it seems that this is the only place to cross to get to corn or other large woods without crossing open fields. The creek bottom (black line) is in a small ravine which is slightly lower elevation than its surroundings. My stand is the white box with an X in it. The second map gives a better view of the surroundings without being labeled. Any input would be great!!

I would say so, yes. One thing I see though is that judging from the pic, the woods are still fairly thick in there, with your spot being perhaps 100 yards from the field edge. Thats fine, but if they are following that creek, you may want to get up a little closer to that pinch point between the grass pasture and the hay field where the woods squeeze them down into a more concentrated area. That way if they are not exactly hugging the creek you have a better chance at getting a shot within 30 yards. Kind of hard for me to be certain of that since I have never set foot in your woods, but it's just an observation.

ManofTheFall 09-10-2010 12:02 PM

Just by looking at it I to would hang my stand in that narrow pinch point there.

PutnamHonigford 09-10-2010 12:30 PM

if it was my spot. i would definatly have my stand on that narrow tree line. going from big areas of hardwoods to the next. and in between the feilds, that would be an awesoem spot man.

davidmil 09-10-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PutnamHonigford (Post 3679627)
if it was my spot. i would definatly have my stand on that narrow tree line. going from big areas of hardwoods to the next. and in between the feilds, that would be an awesoem spot man.

I'd agree. You're too far from the actual pinch points to really catch it all. They'll probably travel that narrow strip. I'd even consider moving up the narrow strip to the point where that next little point comes into it. You're not in the funnell... you're at a point where they can go a lot of different directions and you'll never see them, or at least you'll miss a lot of them..

blakefrautschi 09-10-2010 12:57 PM

i agree with the others, hang it in the narrower part between the fields even, and i would also hang stands on the corner of the bean field, and corn field, corners are natural funnels too, deer feel more safe coming into fields at a corner.

JMO

jermelott 09-10-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Huntingtherut (Post 3679512)

I like where the hay field meets the creek at the point where the other section of woods comes into it. Hard to tell just from the map, but there are several great looking hunting spots. I have found that the big bucks love some CRP. Good luck!

bronko22000 09-10-2010 01:51 PM

Maybe. But there is too much more to look at. What food are they focusing on. Deer will abandon corn if white acorns are dropping. They love them. Also, how about those beans. Its hard to say where they are bedding. What kind of runs are you seeing.

turkeyslayer15 09-10-2010 02:40 PM

id move ur stand up closer to the narrow tree line. Another good spot it looks like is directly left of ur stand now between the two hay fields there is a narrowing area there that leeds to a corn field if you can hunt that area that would be another good stand place.