Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
my aug 31 manitoba black bear >

my aug 31 manitoba black bear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my aug 31 manitoba black bear

Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default my aug 31 manitoba black bear

have been waiting for this hunt for over a year and now that its done and gone i wish time would have stopped so i could enjoy myself a little while longer. I went on a fully guided fall black bear hunt to Sandy River Outfitters in Manitoba.. awesome place.. but heres the story.. my buddy and i decided to drive the 1450 miles from home to pine falls manitoba (first of LONG LONG LONG LONG DRIVE) we blew a wheel bearing outside north dakota and had to get a rental, so already trip is not turning out as i would have liked. ...(skipping to the good parts) arrived at my stand at 230pm guide had got done baiting the can and at 245 i had 2 small bears come running into the bait. Whats truely amazing is how quite these animals are, i listened and never heard 1 of them even as they were walking around. 330 came around and i got bored and did my draw backs and finding my shooting lanes and my limb cracked on my bow. (already im like what else could go wrong) so i sit there pissing and moaning about my bow when this bear came walking in to the bait. he ate himself into a food coma and walked off 60 yards to take a nap. so naturally i contemplate my bow situation versus shooting the bear. i would have like to have waited for a bigger bear as the camp average is well over 350lbs, but i decided for my first bear he was good enough for me, no sooner did the thought pass my mind; did the bear get up and walk right into my 20 yard lane and i let him have it. I watched my beman elite with a red nocturnal nock zip right behind the shoulder. he ran about 30 feet climbed a tree well above my tree stand i estimated about 30-40 ft where he decided he would say "goodbye cruel world" did he death moan and fell 30 some odd feet to the ground.. by far the most amazing hunting experience of my life and well worth every penny.
(p.s my bow did not explode but when i got home the bow shop said i most likely wouldnt get more then a few shots before some serious damage took place)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Really nice bear, congrats man.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, sounds like that trip had its highs and lows. I'm sure that bear made the lows go away. At least till you went back and picked up your vehicle, lol. Great story, AWESOME bear.... Congrats to you...
Old 09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Nice Bear!!! congrats on a sucessful trip.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story, but I've got to say it's VERY dangerous coming to full draw on limbs that you know are cracked. If that limb let's go at full draw it could've been disasterous for you. Congrats on the bear.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice... sounds like a fun hunt... congrats...
what did it weigh?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

just a hair under 225...the place i went to was great we saw 72 bears that week between 9 guys and it was pouring rain the entire time.. i cant wait to go back.. they had 2 in the spring that were over 7ft head to tail.. def a world class bear location
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bear! That looked like a great shot too. I'm sure that experience more than made up for the cracked limb and car trouble. What were the temps like? A friend went bear hunting in ME a week or so back and said the temps were HOT. He didn't score, seemed the bears were moving at night because of the weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.