Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting >

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Old 09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Don't ever get married thinking "she will change".

It's not going to happen.

In the last few years I got back into hunting BIGTIME now that my kids are grown. The wife was having problems with it. I split all the chores with her & make sure to get out of the house with her to the beach, or shopping, or whatever makes her happy. But I made it clear that hunting was VERY important to me - I'll spend as much time with her as possible, but I WON'T quit hunting. I gave it up for many years when my kids were small & needed Dad there with them every weekend, but now it MY time. She decided she'd rather have me chasing deer than chasing skirts, so she gives me my time & I do the same for her.

If you are already having issues, now is the time to have it out IMHO. Don't commit unless everything is PERFECT, because people do not change...
Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Spike

how old are ya?.....Must be pretty young...Sounds like she is immature...If shes that hard on you Going hunting...shes gonna be that hard on everything u want to do that she does'nt want to do. .. I say... dump her.....plus...uve only been dating 1 year...get out while you can and find a woman..instead of a girl..
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a very understanding partner. I was up until 1 AM this morning refletching my sons arrows and she didn't say a word. I try to give her all my time thruout the year because there is nowhere I'd rather be but come August it's time to start hanging stands and she knows it. Try to explain your position and do a few shooing trips or dinner and a movie after your hunts but stay true to who you are or you aren't going to be happy. One thing leads to another and it might be Sunday night football next. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, AND DON'T LOOK BACK....... Trust me if she has a problem with it now she always will...... The funny thing is people really don't change too much even when they say they want too. If that is something that you really love to do and are really passionate about it, talk with her and get the facts and make sure she is going to be OK with it for the next 50 years.....

If not, get out NOW................. THAT my friend is the truth......

Compromise is what people try to do with others, when they don't like what others are doing. I.E. YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is ok to find a happy medium I guess, but just do what makes you happy.. If making her happy make you happy then slow it down. If that is not so important to you, then do you really have to look for the answer…YOU HAVE IT ALREADY… J

Last edited by markjenna; 09-07-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

This is one reason I'm not in a serious relationship.. Granted I am young (23), so this isn't me being immature or completely selfish, but I see it as I or anyone in our shoes needs to find someone that is at least understanding of our passion.. I don't know from experience like some of these guys, but I'm guessing if she's trying to get you to cut back now, while dating, it won't get much better once married.. I have a buddy who's been dating a chick for close 5 years now, he's was a die hard through high school and early college, but every year since dating her, his hunting time and enthusiasm has dissipated and all but ceased now.. He still hunts, but as most of us are limited by work he is too, so he's down to hunting a handful of times in a season.. He went into this relationship trying to make her happy and not hunt that much, but now during the season he's half jealous of us that are hunting and half hen-pecked for the times that he does hunt.. So really if you are willing to severally reduce your time, which it sounds like your not, I suggest you have a sit down with her and just lay it all out, if she isn't understanding to the degree you wish she would be, maybe she's not for you.. But I do wish you the best of luck with the situation..
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

For me she tried the same thing......so I said OK I will stay home, but it will be sex 24-7. After one weekend of that she said next time, go hunting.....I can go now anytime I want and she has No complaints.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If she isn't supportive of your hobbies and passions then it isn't going to work. The longer you cut back your time on what you want to do the more miserable you will be. The more miserable you are the more your going to fight, and then break up. So sit down and talk to her about it, and see where it goes.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

Dude just man handle the situation. Tell her like it is. My wife lets me go anytime I please. Know why? Because she can't stop me nor will she. You've got to be a man and say "Hell yeah I'm going!" You could even bring her along and do the dirty in the stand too. I've done that before in the blind. Nice!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

I told my wife after the 2nd date we ever went on that come oct. I hunt and hunt every weekend until the middle of jan. and if she couldnt deal with that then our relationship just wasnt going to work and we have now been together for 6years and married for 3 of them and she is as supportive as i could ask for so i say be up front with her and if she doesnt understand then maybe she isnt the one
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default well....

sounds to me, you weren't "totally" honest with her from the git. Yes, you are what you are, but, DID she KNOW that, only you would know. Be honest with yourself, then you can be honest with others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.