Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting >

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Everything in life is about balance.

I know guys who shove everything aside to hunt. Litterly, work, kids, wifes, mother, whatever. They are out 4 days a week or more 3 months straight. They pay the price for it.

To me, thats unhealthy. I hunt probably too much. Two days a week from Oct 15 to Dec. 7.
Amen to that. You wouldn't want to invest all of your money in one stock. Same goes with your time and effort. I love to hunt, but it's healthy to have other interests and relationships. What if you got hurt and could never hunt again, or, God forbid, developed an allergy to deer! Passion is one thing. Obsession is another. Passion is healthy, IMHO, but I don't think obsession is, when it keeps everything else out of your life.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
All you guys who tell your wives..."Hey...I hunt. That's the way it's gonna be. And, if you don't like it, so what"......................

We need to see pics of your wives. It'll make more sense if we see what's at stake.
Now that right there is funny.....
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CutEm
I have been with my girlfriend for a year now and we are pretty serious, living together,etc. We started dating end of Sept last year and bow season was underway. At first she seemed supportive of my hunting. As time has progressed she seems to be very annoyed with it and hates that I want to go all the time. She even gets annoyed with me thinking about it all the time. I explained to her that she is my priority but hunting is a part of me and its something I love to do.

Sounds like control problems!! This is what I do and It works out great. I do everything around the house, yard work, water the flowers, cook dinner, even do the dishes and laundry. I don't ask for help I just do it. I even get the "honey do" list done. I ask her if she wants to go with me to check camera's, go fishing, grab some firewood, whatever. She does most of the time. Its the thought that counts. When I tell her that Im going hunting or whatever, she just wants a text message sometime to let her know everything is going alright. I figure if I get everything done, spend time with her, there is no reason she has to complain. So far it has worked. That's my girl though, I don't know about yours.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

With marriage and children it will get WAY worse. My wife puts up with my hunting but doesn’t like it. I gave up fishing since it was not a passion like hunting is and that helped. I only liked fished for something to pass the time but love hunting and will do it until I’m in a wheelchair. When we had kids I slowed down my hunting from 5-7 days a week to 3-5 because I wanted to spend more time with my kids.

Bottom line if you are a passionate hunter and she can’t deal with it she can’t deal with you. I don’t know your situation but if it is that important to you and you are not going to give it up you would be better giving her up before getting married and having kids. My brother could not afford to hunt for the 1st two years after his divorce due to all the CHILD SUPPORT he had to pay. You might save yourself some heartache by breaking it off now.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife would never think of taking my hunting away. She respects my wishes and I do hers. She even helps cut the deer up... Not to toot my own horn, by I have a great wife that lets me do what ever I want. She even packs my snacks for hunting. She will have dinner ready when I get home too... Its all about respect, give and you will receive.....
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

WHAMMMMM!!!! Man that's like getting smacked in the face with the Frying pan. My wife is fine with me and our son hunting, sometimes she pushes out the door. I always get the last word in when she tells me and dj to go fishing or hunting. ( Yes Dear) Ha ha ha ha. If that would ever try to change I know what i would do. Get her involved buy her a bow, do some 3D shoots she might like it.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I told my wife now of 4 years to get used to it. She is now ready to accept me taking a long extend trip,lol.
We have a two year old daughter now as well. I let her go to year round swimming with the baby every Saturday at 9am. She gets her way, and I get mine
We usually get an October wedding invitation to screw up the season as well.

Last edited by PAThwacker; 09-14-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainHunter
Amen to that. You wouldn't want to invest all of your money in one stock. Same goes with your time and effort. I love to hunt, but it's healthy to have other interests and relationships. What if you got hurt and could never hunt again, or, God forbid, developed an allergy to deer! Passion is one thing. Obsession is another. Passion is healthy, IMHO, but I don't think obsession is, when it keeps everything else out of your life.
I guess I'm passionately Obsessed then