Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 yard shot

Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
At 10 yards and closer use your 40 yard pin.

I know it doesn't seem logical. Just do it.

BibBulls, it appears you and I are the only ones that get that. Everyone keeps telling the guy he'll hit high. LOL There's going to be alot of close up shots missed this year. LOL
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not the same for everybody. Most do not or cannot use proper form on the real close shots. Practice is the key.

Also, a deer basically under the stand is a tricky shot. Hard to get both lungs.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe its just me, but, I wont take a shot at a deer that is under my stand, or 10 yards for that matter. I have never run into that problem. But to me, and maybe its just me, but I feel more comfortable shooting at a deer that I know I can go through the chest and not down through it.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Maybe its just me, but, I wont take a shot at a deer that is under my stand, or 10 yards for that matter. I have never run into that problem. But to me, and maybe its just me, but I feel more comfortable shooting at a deer that I know I can go through the chest and not down through it.
Admittedly, a straight down shot is not the preferred. If you're not comfortable with a shot, by all means don't take it. But we were trying to answer his question about taking a 10 yard shot.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
At 10 yards and closer use your 40 yard pin.

I know it doesn't seem logical. Just do it.
and

Originally Posted by davidmil
BibBulls, it appears you and I are the only ones that get that. Everyone keeps telling the guy he'll hit high. LOL There's going to be alot of close up shots missed this year. LOL
Completely dependent upon how the bow is set up. At 10yds on something like say a BULL ELK, hell, just use all the pins, it ain't gonna matter!!!!

Actually most bows are gonna cross that line of sight around 5-7yds in my experience, therefore, I just hold tight with the 20yd pin, at those distances.... At 3-4yds, yes, it does fly a little high.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Admittedly, a straight down shot is not the preferred. If you're not comfortable with a shot, by all means don't take it. But we were trying to answer his question about taking a 10 yard shot.
I understand that. But why practice a shot you shouldn't take then???
Seems like a wait of time. Just my opinion is all.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Apparently so.Most setups do not cross that threshold of sight parallax that far out.It is usually much closer like 5 yards.

I shot at 10 yards last night and I was hitting 5" to 6" high with my 40.

Like many said,shoot the shot and see where it hits.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand that. But why practice a shot you shouldn't take then???
Seems like a wait of time. Just my opinion is all.
A 10 yard shot is an acceptable shot on a deer,unless you are 30' in the air.

How about shooting Turkey from a ground blind.I will shoot them until I can no longer see them under my blind's opening.

You better know what your parallax is doing on those close shots and if you plan on not shooting a hole through your blind.

In short,practice everything and understand what is happening in as many situations as possible.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
and

Completely dependent upon how the bow is set up. At 10yds on something like say a BULL ELK, hell, just use all the pins, it ain't gonna matter!!!!

Actually most bows are gonna cross that line of sight around 5-7yds in my experience, therefore, I just hold tight with the 20yd pin, at those distances.... At 3-4yds, yes, it does fly a little high.
I think you meant to say low and I agree with you.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a deer at about 7 yards quartering hard away.I used my 20,dead center.The entry and exit were perfect and the deer ran 60 yards and fell dead.

That is great you have your limits and stay within them.I would assume you hunt fairly high.Most of my stands are 20' or less.The previous case was about a 15' drop because it was on the upside of a hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.