HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Deer repellent needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/329216-deer-repellent-needed.html)

johnch 09-06-2010 02:48 PM

Deer repellent needed

Well this afternoon I took a walk around one of the farms I have permission to hunt

I found a tree stand just over the property line , 5 feet off facing the property line
In a 10' wide strip of trees
It is facing onto the farm I have sole permission to bow hunt on

I talked to the land owner and the farmer
They both have had run in's with a guy that lives on the next road over
Hunting several places without permission

Non of us want to get in a shouting match with this fool , as the last time tires were slashed and fences were cut
And catching him would be next to imposible
As acess to where he has the stand is tough , Neither the police or DNR have been able to catch him on several propertys
Messing with his stand would be just as bad and he could call the police on us

We contacting the land owner where the stand is located
No no one has permission to hunt there
But no we can't touch the stand or cross the property line
He was quite clear on that

So we have decided , if we can't stop him from hunting that stand
We will try and stop all the deer from going past his stand

We are planning on spraying some type of deer repellent all around the stand

As the deer have a number of trails bypassing his stand
We just want the deer to not use the trails around his stand

Anyone know of a efective deer repellent that we could put in a back pack sprayer ?
It would be nice if it was reasonably cheap
As we are hopeing to spray 50 yds in all directions of the stand
And into the treeline where the stand is
As far as we can without crossing the property line

Any ideas ?

John

MOhunter46 09-06-2010 03:30 PM

We had a similar problem like this a few years back. My grampa was wanting to take an old truck up there and park it right by there stand but on our side. IDK maybe something like that would work.

sprintflyer 09-06-2010 03:34 PM

Go to the local barber shops and sweep up all the cut hair from the floor you can gather. Spread it around to scent the woods up! Don't know if it works but it's logical and best of all it's free. There are several commercial products on the market also. Usually a day off work with nothing else to do on opening day will send every deer in a 10 mile area running! Just the way it works for me! LOL!

deerslayer706 09-06-2010 05:24 PM

i heard coffee beans will work...

blakefrautschi 09-06-2010 07:03 PM

human hair i've heard works, just put it within a 15 or 20 yard area, so its more concentrated to the stand, so if a deer comes by the attention will be placed on his stand, more likely to bust him...

just an idea, not sure if it would work or not.

noidurism 09-07-2010 03:38 AM

also try cologne/perfume, or predator urine.

davidmil 09-07-2010 04:01 AM

Seems like you're worrying an awful lot about one stand that's not on your property. And the adjacent land owner seems just fine with it as he won't take it down or let you cross the line. I would think the best deterent would be to walk up to that stand every time you can. Lots of traffic will spook any deer away. Hell, throw a balloon of pee over the fence everytime you go. If the guy hunts it a lot he'll do the deer repelling for you. Tie a big tarp in the trees on your side of the fence limiting his view. Maybe paint a note on it. No shooting over the fence.

stabnslab_WI 09-07-2010 04:02 AM

Seriously!

V8Ranger 09-07-2010 05:29 AM

Maybe place a trail cam where he cant see it, if thats even possible. And when it catches him trespassing, you have the proof. I know in NY you cant kick a trespasser off the land, only the land owner can. I like Davidmil's idea, put up a big sign telling him he is being watch for trespassing, and if caught, he will be arested..... Confronting persistent trespassers is not recommended. He could be violent. Carry a camera with you at all times. If you do see him, take a picture, and leave. But make sure the picture is good enough to ID him.
If you know where he is parking get his plate number so they will know where to go to arrest him at home. Thats just my opinion.....

4evrhtn 09-07-2010 09:52 AM

The hair, cologne, remnants of bar soap and moth ball flakes all stink up the area enough to deter deer from travelling through.