HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Field dressing where? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/329202-field-dressing-where.html)

2robinhood 09-06-2010 10:50 AM

Field dressing where?

Where do you field dress your deer?
In the spot where you recover it or do you take it away from your hunting area to dress it out?

stabnslab_WI 09-06-2010 11:06 AM

I take it to the house to gut and clean the animal there, that's if I can. Its good to have the hose ready to wash the inside out and plus its much cleaner. Otherwise if I can't drag or get to the animal to the four wheeler or truck, I gut the animal in the closest field or opening. I have seen pic's of does licking a gut pile before. I don't think its ruins anything. I just prefer to clean the animal at the house and dispose of the gut pile

johnch 09-06-2010 11:18 AM

Normaly I only drag my deer to a different spot to feild dress , if it is nasty uneven or wet ect

IMO a gut pile dosn't bother deer

As at least around where I live
After a night or 2
There isn't anything left , as the scavengers clean it up

John

fingerz42 09-06-2010 11:36 AM

Gut it where it lays after it dies. Harms nothing. Easier drag out.

BigDaddy12t 09-06-2010 12:26 PM

I have done it both ways. I have gutted them where the fall, and I have taken them back to the house and hung them from a tree, and gutted them while they were hanging.

Sniggle 09-06-2010 12:27 PM

Where it lays...less weight to drag. I carry a 2-quart canteen so I have some water to was the inside if needed...otherwise I hose out the inside when I get it home.

A11en 09-06-2010 03:53 PM

I haven't gut a deer in years! Six years ago, someone showed me how to quarter a deer taking all four quarters, the backstraps, and even the tenderloins with-out gutting. The only mess I deal with is the anus / bladder when splitting the pelvic bone.

It's very easy and only takes me 15-20 minutes on an average deer (once its hung)- about half that with two people.

richwrench 09-06-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by A11en (Post 3677082)
I haven't gut a deer in years! Six years ago, someone showed me how to quarter a deer taking all four quarters, the backstraps, and even the tenderloins with-out gutting. The only mess I deal with is the anus / bladder when splitting the pelvic bone.

It's very easy and only takes me 15-20 minutes on an average deer (once its hung)- about half that with two people.

+1 We do the same thing. Drag it to the nearest oak tree & clean it this way. Leave the carcass for the yotes & buzzards. Do hogs the same way.

johnch 09-06-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by A11en (Post 3677082)

Great idea

But here in Ohio
You need to take the whole deer ( feild dressed ) to be checked in
It isn't legal to bone it out or quarter before checking it

That will change next year , as we are going to a call in or internet chek in system

John

MountainHunter 09-06-2010 06:20 PM

A11en: I would love to learn that. Do you have a link to a video or instructions onh how to do that?