Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Field dressing where? >

Field dressing where?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field dressing where?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Field dressing where?

Where do you field dress your deer?
In the spot where you recover it or do you take it away from your hunting area to dress it out?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take it to the house to gut and clean the animal there, that's if I can. Its good to have the hose ready to wash the inside out and plus its much cleaner. Otherwise if I can't drag or get to the animal to the four wheeler or truck, I gut the animal in the closest field or opening. I have seen pic's of does licking a gut pile before. I don't think its ruins anything. I just prefer to clean the animal at the house and dispose of the gut pile
Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normaly I only drag my deer to a different spot to feild dress , if it is nasty uneven or wet ect

IMO a gut pile dosn't bother deer

As at least around where I live
After a night or 2
There isn't anything left , as the scavengers clean it up

John
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gut it where it lays after it dies. Harms nothing. Easier drag out.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have done it both ways. I have gutted them where the fall, and I have taken them back to the house and hung them from a tree, and gutted them while they were hanging.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Where it lays...less weight to drag. I carry a 2-quart canteen so I have some water to was the inside if needed...otherwise I hose out the inside when I get it home.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't gut a deer in years! Six years ago, someone showed me how to quarter a deer taking all four quarters, the backstraps, and even the tenderloins with-out gutting. The only mess I deal with is the anus / bladder when splitting the pelvic bone.

It's very easy and only takes me 15-20 minutes on an average deer (once its hung)- about half that with two people.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by A11en
I haven't gut a deer in years! Six years ago, someone showed me how to quarter a deer taking all four quarters, the backstraps, and even the tenderloins with-out gutting. The only mess I deal with is the anus / bladder when splitting the pelvic bone.

It's very easy and only takes me 15-20 minutes on an average deer (once its hung)- about half that with two people.
+1 We do the same thing. Drag it to the nearest oak tree & clean it this way. Leave the carcass for the yotes & buzzards. Do hogs the same way.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by A11en

Great idea

But here in Ohio
You need to take the whole deer ( feild dressed ) to be checked in
It isn't legal to bone it out or quarter before checking it

That will change next year , as we are going to a call in or internet chek in system

John
Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

A11en: I would love to learn that. Do you have a link to a video or instructions onh how to do that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.