Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting Blunders >

Bowhunting Blunders

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Blunders

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Spike

Default Bowhunting Blunders

What are your most memorable mishaps while bowhunting ? such as nocking your arrow and cutting your string with the broadhead.

My latest was I dropped my grunt call out of the stand so went down to retrieve it. Then notice a buck feeding in the area that i could not see from the stand. So grabbed the call hurried up the tree grunted the buck in and arrowed my first 8 pt with the bow.

So just wondering some of other members blunders or lucky breaks that they have experienced.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Well this makes me mad everytime telling this story but I guess. Last year I bought a bow in about July to take up bow hunting. Had a bunch of game cam pics of two real nice shooters, 150 range. So I got all geared up and practiced shooting, etc. The third time in my stand sure enough one of these shooter bucks was chasing a doe and the does fawn came right under my stand and sure enough the doe followed the fawn and shortly here came the buck. He stopped about 40 yards looking at me in the buck brush but didn't spook. The doe at this time was coming right towards me which was perfect. So next thing I know I told myself when this buck walks past this next tree I'm drawing back the shot will be 30 yards. So he walks past the tree I stand up and go to draw back and my release lets go about 1/4 way back sending the arrow sailing effortlessly at him and it spooked him just enough to turn around and be RIGHT behind a tree, NO SHOT. WOW!!!!! Can you believe that??? I still can't! What a joke, still sick and have not seen the buck since.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first year I bowhunted I had a buck coming in from behind me. I stood up, grabbed my bow and proceded to get my string caught on something just long enough to launch the arrow to the ground below. Fortunately I was able to knock another arrow and put one right behind his shoulder.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

One of my funniest was taking a shot at a nice 8 pointer and watching the arrow sail right between his antlers. Wonder where I was looking. Another good one. When I first started bow hunting I shot with fingers. The first time I shot at a Deer after switching to a release, I spaced out and shot with my fingers even with the release hanging from my wrist. Needless to say, I missed wildly and it took a second to figure out what went wrong. I was glad no one was around to see either one of these fiascos.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

This actually did not happen to me but I was a part of it. It happened to my dad!
It was the 2nd week of archery seaon, we were hunting edges of cut corn fields. A good buck came in to my dad. He took a shot but the arrow was deflected, At least that is what we thought. When he went to take a look he found half of the deer's tail. We looked for any other signs of a hit but found nothing. We laughed so hard! We still could not figure out how he cut that buck's tail out. We had a pretty good idea of the buck that he shot at it. It was a real good six pt, no brow tines.
In rifle seaon that buck was actual shot by my uncle. We were able to look at the deer up close. The buck had no other wounds to be found, but he was missing half of his tail!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

On my first bow hunt (17 years ago), I was hunting over a corn pile at about 15 yards. My dad was about 200 yards away building something at the camp. Just before dark, a doe came in to the corn and started to feed. The first arrow hit the ground in front of the stand before I had a chace to draw my bow. Not knowing what had happened, she came back in for some mo corn. This time I placed the arrow just behind her shoulder and pulled the trigger. The shot was a little back but I heard her crash about 60 yards away. I waited about ten minutes and started yelling for my dad to come see (from my stand!!!!), thats when I heard her get up and run away, never to be seen again. LESSON LEARNED!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I worked on this particular stand for about (2) hours being careful not to sweat or disturb the area. I have had multiple pictures of two nice bucks using a trail leading to a cornfield so I set up twenty yards away. The next day was calling for south east winds which I needed to hunt this stand. All I had to do was go to work and be done on time. So that morning I was on a medical ****** with a co-worker and he was complaining about his stomach being tore up and he had to use the bathroom every hour. Well that day I forgot my water and asked him when he finsihed his juice if I could use his bottle. When we got to the hospital I filled up his bottle and drank from it the rest of the day. That was a mistake. When work was over, I ran home showered and walked out the back door to the stand. I wanted to check the camera to see if they entered the cornfield in the morning because that was there bedding area. (A lot of our big bucks bed in the corn, don't know why) As soon as I bent down I felt my stomach turn and it was coming so I stood up as fast as possible and held it in. "I said please not now!" I rushed up to my stand and was going to wait it out, but I was sweating so much because it was tearing me up inside. I got down and made it about sixty yards before the shirt came off and nature called, I was upset so I just left the woods and went home. I ruined a shirt and I thought I ruined that stand for sure. The next day I checked that camera and sure enough at 45 min after I left the buck exited the corn field on that trail. I was happy and sad at the same time.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunting blunders??? This sight couldn't handle the bandwith for all of mine ...
Old 09-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

when I first started hunting with a bow i was on the ground hunting seen a doe come in was going to take her . So I drew back let the arrow go and it hit a log in front of the deer . It looked at me as if to say what are you trying to do ?. then it had the nerve to come up one step and sniff the arrow then she took off real fast .
Old 09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike

I have also cut my string while nocking an arrow in the dark at about 20 feet up. I t was a Bear Polar 2 with 6 pully's I think it scared me good.
I missed a doe at about 15 yards shot under her she snorted and bounded out of range looking around when she would snort I snorted back after a few minutes of this exchange she cam back to about the same spot I missed her earlier so I shot and missed her one more time.She did the same thing and we exchanged snorts and she came back again.So this time I aimed a little higher (all shots were 15 yards or less)and Missed again shot over this time.So she snorts and bounds off and finally walks off.I still get ragged about that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.