Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting Blunders >

Bowhunting Blunders

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Blunders

Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could write a book on this since I've Bowhunted over 50 years.
Latest
3 weeks ago on a DIY Antelope hunt. Shot at a nice Buck out of my blind-shot through my window flap-it's NOT shoot thru. Watched the arrow sail "yards" from the Buck.
Did manage a Doe 2 days later.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Spike

The first time I hunted out of a climbing stand. I had a buck spot me three times. My dad said you need to be in a tree take my stand and find a good straight tree about 12 to 16 thick. He gave me a quick lesson on how to climb. The next morning I went out and found a good tree no limbs nice and straight. Up I went about 30 feet or so. I hooked up the safety belt he gave me and pulled my bow and pack up with the rope he gave me. There was a 4 foot piece or rope tied to the seat I thought that must be to tie my pack to HA HA so I did. I saw the deer coming and went to stand up and the bottom of the stand fell and left me hanging by my belt. I wrapped my arms and legs around the tree and slid down getting all skinned up. I looked up and saw my pack hanging there and thought I bet that's not what that rope is for. Lesson learned
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default learn how to judge distances

When i was about eight it was my first year deer hunting and we had a crossbow then.(I now have a compound bow)me and my dad were sitting in our tree stand and a ten point buck walks up.He lets me take the shot my hearts racing. i thought it was about 20 yards away and i aim and the deer gave me the white flag it turned out i went under it.Then we let one of my dads friends hunt on our land later on during muzzleloader season. and he shoots the deer and there was a arrow mark along the bottom of its chest....

i learned distances from then on!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ran over my bow last year after getting back to the truck after an elk hunt and was moving from one area to another. Got to the other spot, got out, realized I had left my bow on the ground where I had been parked, drove back only to find that I had run over the top limb and quiver.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

My buddy was a little late on stand once, he just got up on stand, his bow was still on the ground when a solid 150 class 10 pointer walked passed him less than 15 yds.
He cried!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

Wow, where to begin.

My first bow hunt ever I was probably 14 and had a cheap metal prong arrow rest and an aluminum arrow. A small 6 pt came in and I drew to take a shot and the arrow fell of the rest. Well he trotted a few steps forward right behind a tree facing away from me, parallel to the tree. He then proceeded to stick his head out around the tree and look while I'm at full draw and only giving me a look at his face. He then walked straight away slowly behind the tree the whole time. I was pretty bummed.

I've also shot at a doe last season where I didn't get my bottom cam over the rail on my climber stand and clanged against it as I shot. Shot went way high.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Spike

Took my quiver off the bow in the stand. Late in the hunt i moved and knocked the quiver to the ground. When I went to catch the quiver knock my arrow off the bow. So went down to retrieve some arrows when deer where coming in fast. Hurried and grabbed the closest arrow and stop the deer running for a second broadside and let one loose. It hit the deer square and stuck. Picked up the rest of my arrows and noticed that I still had all of my broadheads, Meaning that I stuck the deer with my one fieldpoint that I keep for foxes and squirrels.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

My peep tube smacked me in the eye at full draw. Never did find that arrow.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Maryland_Whitetail
My peep tube smacked me in the eye at full draw. Never did find that arrow.
Ohhh..Nice....

On a side note...HTTR...How bout those Cowboys !!!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

first time in the stand with a bow had about 30 does in front me and there was a big ole doe on the corn at 15 yards away and a fawn about 20 feet behind that doe walking to the corn i was shaking really bad got my bow up and drawn back and put my top pin on the big ole doe as soon as i released the arrow i turned my bow to the right and i end up up missing the big ole doe and hitting the fawn in the rear end that was 20 feet from the deer i was aiming at never did find the doe and i am sure glad no one seen me doing that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.