HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   building a treestand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/329025-building-treestand.html)

slayer_54 09-02-2010 07:36 PM

building a treestand

i'm building a two person treestand so that it will be more enjoyable for my two parents who love to bowhunt but are getting to the age where sitting in a hanger isn't very fun. i started the base which will be 8' x 6' and will be 15' in the air. the question i have is the roof... would i be able to get by with a flat roof? what about slope? will tin scare deer/ do i have to shingle it?

davidmil 09-02-2010 08:22 PM

So it sounds like they have a mobility problem if they have to have a house built to sit in. LOL Just joking... but I think the better way to go would be with a GOOD ground blind. Spring for the bucks and buy something like a big Double Bull or something. That way you aren't tied to one spot where you've errected a one room apartment. Home made stuff is usually not the way to go when it comes to safety. Do you really need to put these old folks 15 feet off the ground on notty lumber. LOL Really, a ground blind is much more versatile, less fuss, work and all that stuff. So it cost a few bucks. SO does this apartment you're thinking of building. Cost out the lumber, nails, bolts etc before starting and you'll find that out.

YooperMike 09-03-2010 04:36 AM

I think i'm with David on this one. If you are intent on being in the air, they are some companies that make metal platforms that you can set a ground blind on. They aren't 15' high, but they are still up in the air. There are also some brackets available that you attach posts to and with the brackets, that makes the frame for an elevated platform. I'm very leary of elevated wooden stands, too many horror stories for me, especially if you are looking to put 2-3 people up there.

wallhangr 09-03-2010 04:41 AM

IF you follow thru with buliding one, using tin for the roof won't make any difference - unless you're building under an oak tree.

I'm with the rest though, a blind would be a better option.

*twodogs* 09-03-2010 04:45 AM

Not a big fan of home made tree stands from a safety perspective. Have you considered buying an elevated shooting house? More expensive but much safer and saves you a lot of up keep down the road.

I would pitch the roof and use tin for rain/snow run off.

dmax4me 09-03-2010 05:43 AM

We use Rolled Rubber on our roofs. Same kind they put on flat roofs on big buildings. Doesn't make the noises of tin either.

NEBRbruiser 09-03-2010 09:08 AM

First off, nice to see you doing this for your parents. Now as for this blind, I am actually in the middle of building one that is same size 6 x8, however I'm mounting it to an old wagon frame so that it is mobile somewhat like a ground blind. BUT way better than a ground blind in that it will be insulated, sliding windows, etc. So plenty of heat, no worries of wind blowing ground blind away or ripping, etc. I agree ground blinds are very handy and I own two, however I just wanted to make a real nice blind that will last years and I can sit in and never get cold. I've tried sitting in ground blind when its 5 degrees with a heater and its just not the same as an insulated box blind. I have found out tho that I could have bought about 2-3 double bulls for the price I will have in mine when done, not to mention the time I've had to take off to work on it. To each their own this tho! Some guys like ground blinds, some like tree stands, etc, etc. Do what you feel like and with a good set of plans and you shouldn't have to worry quite so much about safety. Heck I guarantee a wooden box blind built with quality wood and by someone that knows what they are doing is wayyyyy sturdier than 95% of the mass production box blinds out there. Go buy you a cheap steel base like mentioned in other post and it will blow over and bend the first time out unless you REALLY anchor it down. Put your poles in the ground 5 ft or so and youll have NO problems with it blowing over. I'm anxious to see yours when its done. Good luck. As for the roof, tin is what I'm using and my blind slopes 5 inches from front to back. You don't need a whole lot of slope to it.

KCMO Cityboy 09-04-2010 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished putting a blind together last weekend that will be used by my boys during the firearms season. Mine is 6'x6' though and I framed out the roof with two 4x8 sheets of plywood, lifted them into place with the help of a nice tree branch way up high and the tractor. Added a metal drip around the perimeter and put rolled roofing on it. Any roof will need a slope to it. This one used a 2x4 on its side to give it a 3.5" rise. Still need to finish dressing it out but it's almost ready!
The top of the platform is only at 10 feet and really doesn't need to be any higher since your body is hidden by the walls.

PY Antlers 09-05-2010 04:13 AM

Holy smokes! You guys building these big shooting houses must not be very far from a road. I would hate to try and drag all those supplies into the swamp we hunt......never work. Hope my kids do something like that for me when the time comes.

RidgeFACTOR 09-05-2010 10:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_dwU07S0XU&feature=fvw