Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
ppl hunting next to you >

ppl hunting next to you

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ppl hunting next to you

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Spike

Default ppl hunting next to you

guys i could use some advice on this i been hunting this wood for 5 years now. i went to check out my stands an there is latter stand 10 yrds off my stand on what i think is the property line. looking into an old feild thats it what should i do about this an y do ppl do this.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

If the other stand is on someone else's property, about the only thing you could do is talk to the guy and see if you can come to an agreement. Perhaps he didn't see your stand, or maybe he just doesn't care. From his perspective, you're practically hunting on the property line too (only 10 yards off of it).

Question for you: if you shoot something that close to the line, are you allowed to pursue it over the line? The answer to this question might impact how you approach this situation. In other words, if you create a stink, will the other landowner shut you out if you have to track something over the line?

This is always the risk you take when you hunt the very edge of a piece of property (it's happened to me).
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough spot to be in, but manageble. I have a small lease, and the majority of my stands are 50 yards at a minumum off the boundary to avoid these situations. I don't want someone doing it to me, so I don't do it to the bordering land owner. The first day I scouted my lease, I talked to the neighbor, and he was talking to me about how the guy who used to hunt my spot (trespassing BTW) had a set hung right on the fence, the tree it was in had the boundary fence tacked to it, and he was irritated about that. I told him I would do no such thing, and he promptly said "If you shoot one and it crosses the fence, you call me and we'll find him." So, good results can come of this, and UP makes a good point, you are hunting the boundary too. Fences have 2 sides.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Tough spot to be in, but manageble. I have a small lease, and the majority of my stands are 50 yards at a minumum off the boundary to avoid these situations. I don't want someone doing it to me, so I don't do it to the bordering land owner. The first day I scouted my lease, I talked to the neighbor, and he was talking to me about how the guy who used to hunt my spot (trespassing BTW) had a set hung right on the fence, the tree it was in had the boundary fence tacked to it, and he was irritated about that. I told him I would do no such thing, and he promptly said "If you shoot one and it crosses the fence, you call me and we'll find him." So, good results can come of this, and UP makes a good point, you are hunting the boundary too. Fences have 2 sides.
i can definitely see this bein beneficial...good thoughts here..i'd take this advise..never know when you'll need a good neighbor anyway!!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

I can tell this if he's hunting a fence roll then he's hunting your land to .I don't care which way his stand if facing he's hunting his land and your so don't let him tell you other wise .
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by arrow2512
I can tell this if he's hunting a fence roll then he's hunting your land to .I don't care which way his stand if facing he's hunting his land and your so don't let him tell you other wise .
Yep...and the original poster is essentially hunting the other land too.

As YooperMike said, fences work both ways. I've hunted property lines before, but only with the acknowledgment of the adjacent owner (and permission to track one onto their side of the line). If I don't have permission, I'm careful to back off quite a ways from the line...I want to minimize the chances of a deer running onto their land before it dies.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

I would find out who's stand it is and call them and notify them that you have a stand that was previously placed 10yds from them.. if they want to get stupid.. notify the game warden and see what he suggests.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by -DeerSlayer-
I would find out who's stand it is and call them and notify them that you have a stand that was previously placed 10yds from them.. if they want to get stupid.. notify the game warden and see what he suggests.
What do you do if the guy then moves his stand 10 yards onto his own property? It would be a stupid move, but we had a guy do this once. It sucks to be in that position, but technically, there isn't a helluva lot you can do about it if they're clearly on their land.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

some people are @$ses, some people are nice, talk to him hoping he's a good guy and explain to him the situation. If he wants to be an @$s about it then so be it, but as other said, it goes both ways. honestly i have a guy that borders our property that i think isn't the coolest guy, but i have a feeling he feels the same way about me... it happens.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Spike

i have 3 stands that are 50 yards from property line..i dont try to put them there...Thats just where the rubs..and good signs are..lol...But if u could get a hold of other land owner and speak to him..thats gonna be the better bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.