Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I wrong?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Am I wrong?

Maybe im be selfish! am I?

Last edited by stabnslab_WI; 10-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

No you are not wrong, he owes it to the animal that he is hunting to be 100% sure of his shot, to get a quick clean kill. No one can buy there first bow and be a ready to hunt with it in a week. You should tell he that he needs to take bow hunting a lot more seriously, the shots are closer, you only get one shot, and you have lil room for error if you want the deer to die quickly
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he's taking multiple shots with a gun, I would not be comfortable at all with him with a bow in the woods. One week is an awfully fast turnaround to be "hunt ready." Teaching him about all of the nuances about bow hunting will no doubt make him a better hunter overall, and it will likely be a tough pill to swallow if you tell him he's not going to be allowed to bow hunt this year. Encourage him to get a bow, and practice, and maybe even sit with you, but no shooting until late season, with a couple months of practice. Just my opinion, but that's how I would handle it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not wrong at all. Jmo
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I dont think he would be setting in my set ups either.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he's missing with a gun, there's no way he would be ready to go in one week with a bow. If he's lucky, maybe next year.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Well....

Sounds to me he has the "buck fever" thing taken care of. Bow starts in a week? Try this, tell him to practice until last week of OCT, first week of NOV, then have him shoot out of a tree that isn't in your hunting area, and see how he does. As far as set ups go, ya gotta do your own work, make him find and set up his own, thats part of the reward when you get yourself a nice deer. You may be pleasantly surprised, some people it does come natural. If he can't shoot that bow accurately inside of 2 months, then he has NO business bowhunting at all.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make him shoot from a tree and give him a test. Move a target around and make him hit a three inch dot between 15 and 30 yards. He can't hunt until he hits it and put some pressure on him. If he waits til a week before season he probably won't have any arrows left at the end of the test. It will be obvious he is not ready.

Next year, Once he passes the shooting skills test find him a spot way away from your spots. Don't share your camera pictures, it just breeds jealousy.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Am I wrong for thinking this too, I was going to set him up wind on one side of 80 acre chunk and have his scent drift into the woods and I would be waiting on the other side. I have done this in the past with my father and it has worked out awesome. Its like a deer drive but there is no running deer, they slowly walk past.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like the guy needs a lot more then just a week of practicing with a bow, it sounds like he needs to shoot his rifle as well. I have a buddy that "hunts HIS own property" he pulls out his bow about a week or so before season and shoots a few times a night and calls it good.. I've tracked way to many deer for him with no success. I find it absolutely stupid as well as unethical to practice this type of habit.. some people have no common sense and respect for the animal... I probably send 20,000+ arrows thru my bow in a year.. In my opinion practice makes perfect and that shouldn't matter whether you hunt with a rifle or a bow, its all about respect and ethics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.