Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I wrong?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by davidmil
Well let's review. What does HOCKEY have to do with it. And he killed a couple nice bucks. You aren't afraid he'll kill another are you? LOL "How To Win Friends and Influence People" is a great book. It could also be named how to get along with the inlaws? LOL I think you're being a little jealous and pissy about it. You willing to let him gun hunt like he has in the past? Obviously you don't want to help him. I say you're causing trouble in the family tree. Dang boy, he's your brother in law... not a stranger.

Besides that, I see in another post where you said he's showed you up twice and it has become a big competition between you, your father and your brother in law when gun season comes around. After further review I think you're being childish and trying to throw the competition out. Your biggest mistake is making hunting a competition. It's about you and the animal. You win or lose depending on your skills. Don't blame someone else for your failures if he succeeds and you don't. Congratulate him and learn.
Well let's review. What does HOCKEY have to do with it. And he killed a couple nice bucks. You aren't afraid he'll kill another are you? LOL "How To Win Friends and Influence People" is a great book. It could also be named how to get along with the inlaws? LOL I think you're being a little jealous and pissy about it. You willing to let him gun hunt like he has in the past? Obviously you don't want to help him. I say you're causing trouble in the family tree. Dang boy, he's your brother in law... not a stranger.

Besides that, I see in another post where you said he's showed you up twice and it has become a big competition between you, your father and your brother in law when gun season comes around. After further review I think you're being childish and trying to throw the competition out. Your biggest mistake is making hunting a competition. It's about you and the animal. You win or lose depending on your skills. Don't blame someone else for your failures if he succeeds and you don't. Congratulate him and learn.
Really! This is coming from a guy that spray paints an outline of a deer in his back yard. I brought up hockey because that was his sport before. When he couldn't play I introduced gun hunting to him. "That is why I brought up hockey"

Lol....I think its funny your read "How To Win Friends and Influence People" just tells me your a loner. Nothing wrong with that. But if your going to give me your physco analysis I rather do it in person. That way I can tell you my life story, how I was brought up and then you can prescribe me that right medication "DOC". But until then quit playing "Sigmund Freud!!"

Bottom line, my land, my rules. He can gun hunt the s$%# out of the land if he wants but bowhunting is far more serious. If you were serious bowhunter you would know what Im talking about. I don't want someone in my area after I planted food plots, hung stands, planted trees and dug ponds and exspects to jump right in. Give a little to gain a lot. I worked hard so everyone can enjoy "gun hunting" and you worked hard to so everyone can enhoy "their freedom"

Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

If I was in your position, I would not only prevent him from BOW hunting on your land, I would prevent him from GUN hunting on your land.
My dad taught me that hunting is a "one shot, one kill" mentality. Gun or bow. I had to use a break action for the first two years that I hunted. The only way to get a deer with a break action is with practice, patience, hard work, and skill. No short cuts. Bow hunting forces you into this mentality but if you learn it early than its just second nature. I'm not tooting my own horn but if everyone learns to shoot this way, we would have a lot fewer anti's out there.
I agree with the other posters that we owe it to the deer to make clean ethical kills. Ask your other hunter if he would like an arrow through his gut and then die 12 hours later. Not a fun picture.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Also, any and all elitist comments are not only correct but justified. Bow hunting is NOT for the casual hunter, it's for the elite hunter. Why do more people gun hunt than bow hunt? Because its easier!!
When GUN hunting and a deer comes in at a funny angle to you have to gauge the distance between 20-40-60-100-150 yards? No, just point and shoot.
Do you have to wait till it gives you a good angle? Nope, "hit both shoulders, than it can't run."
Do you have to to control your movements, sounds, or scent nearly as much? No again. 100 yards is a lot farther to see, smell, or hear than 15.
Can you empty your gun in 4 seconds? Yes, finally a yes to a question. However I would love to see you empty a whole quiver in 4 seconds.
Do you have to wait till your target is stationary? Back to the no's. I would like to see a deer drive with bows... Actually no I wouldn't.
I could go on for days...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Bottom line, my land, my rules. He can gun hunt the s$%# out of the land if he wants but bowhunting is far more serious. If you were serious bowhunter you would know what Im talking about. I don't want someone in my area after I planted food plots, hung stands, planted trees and dug ponds and exspects to jump right in. Give a little to gain a lot. I worked hard so everyone can enjoy "gun hunting" and you worked hard to so everyone can enhoy "their freedom"
So what you're really saying is no matter how good he was or becomes you don't want him. That changes it all. LOL Why ask the question if you don't want the anwers.
About the book, "How to......" I took 3 Dale Carneige courses when I was younger in an effort to expand my mind and better perform in life. LOL It was required reading. I gave it to Good Will when I became old and crotchetty. LOL

The chalk outline of the deer was in jest when years ago the ethics posse started finding fault with blood on some deer I'd shot. They question anything in those days to include my distaste for "Harvesting" deer. I kill all mine. I haven't posted deer pictures much since then.

Last edited by davidmil; 09-05-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what you're really saying is no matter how good he was or becomes you don't want him. That changes it all. LOL Why ask the question if you don't want the anwers.
About the book, "How to......" I took 3 Dale Carneige courses when I was younger in an effort to expand my mind and better perform in life. LOL It was required reading. I gave it to Good Will when I became old and crotchetty. LOL

The chalk outline of the deer was in jest when years ago the ethics posse started finding fault with blood on some deer I'd shot. They question anything in those days to include my distaste for "Harvesting" deer. I kill all mine. I haven't posted deer pictures much since then.
I honestly get a better conversation and understanding out of my four year old nephew. When I say "Give a little to gain a lot" means help put in food plots in, plant trees, cut hay, do something for the land and practice with your bow. Did you have a B.I.L that didn't let you hunt his land? Those classes you took on expanding your mind "didn't pay off" because your stuck on me being jealous of my B.I.L.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!! I am surprised of all the "bashing" over this post. To me, and maybe its only me, when someone puts a post on hear they are looking for a second opinion 99% of the time. I doubt that there are people on here that are looking for someone to TELL them what to do, and how to hunt. Everyone has there own ways. They wont work for everyone. I think that 99.9% of the people on here are good ethical hunters or you wouldn't be on here anymore. IMO, people on here wouldn't put up with unethical hunters and they would leave.
I think you, and only you, can determine if he is ready to bow hunt. Your the only one that can SEE his progress. If you think he can, or is ready to bow hunt this year, then let him hunt. If YOU don't feel he is ready, I'm sure he will understand. After all, you still let him gun hunt on your property, so he cant be all bad. I'm not trying to step on any toes. It's just my opinion, thats all.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by phil_pick
Also, any and all elitist comments are not only correct but justified. Bow hunting is NOT for the casual hunter, it's for the elite hunter. Why do more people gun hunt than bow hunt? Because its easier!!
To each his own but I think the reason more people gun hunt is because it's cheaper and guns are common place in society vs archery equipment.

In many states a bow tag is an additional expense to the big game hunter (it is here in NY) add in a hunting stand, extra tag, bow, arrows, broad heads and someone at the pro shop to set it up...all of it prices many people out of the sport unfortunately.

Shot guns and rifles can be picked up pretty cheap all over and you get 12-24 shells per carton for less than $20, you can't touch a good set of arrows let alone broad heads to tip them for $20.

I guess when I take my shot gun out after bow season I become a casual hunter? Maybe I should carry my bow all through gun season so I can remain an elite hunter......

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree that gun hunting is cheaper. My wife reminds me of this every year...
That might have some effect on some hunters as to why they choose guns over bows but you have to agree that guns are easier. I have tried to talk a number of my friends and family into taking up bow hunting and they all tell me that they don't have the time and and the effort to put into it. Yet they will pick up their 30-06, shoot 5 shots at the range two days in advance, go sit out in a stand, and kill a deer on opening weekend. Seriously, how many of your friends do that. No practice, No scouting, No actual hard work.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not wrong at all, you should work with him after he gets his bow and watch how well he progresses with his shooting. Then you will know when he is ready to take a shot at a live animal.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

IMO there is nothing wrong with what your doing. It takes practice and dedication to be an ETHICAL bowhunter. I agree, encouraging him to hunt and practice would be the best thing to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.