HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/32878-left-hand-shooting-right-hand-dominant-left-eye-dilemma.html)

c903 07-08-2003 05:16 PM

Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

I am teaching a 9-year old girl and a 12-year old boy to shoot.

The girl is primary left-handed, but is ambidextrous and uses her right hand when strength is needed. She is definitely " left eye" dominant. I tried her on a left-hand bow and a right-hand bow. She pulls the right-hand bow without difficulty, but cannot do so with her left-hand.

I am in a quandary as to whether I should go with her right hand (arm) since it seems stronger, but then I have the dominant " left-eye" problem to deal with. I am sure I can get her left arm strengthened and coordinated, but she is resisting, only because she is presently comfortable with pulling with her right arm.

As her instructor, I know that regardless how much longer it takes, or how frustrating it may be for her, I should teach her in a way that the package is complete. Anyone dealt with this before, personally or with someone else?

How about hearing from some of you right-hand shooters having a left dominant eye. How problematic is your ability to sight a bow properly?

Capt Ray 07-08-2003 05:36 PM

RE: Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

c903, I am left handed but right eye dominant. It has always been a strugle to keep my right eye from taking over. This past season I strarted shooting a right hand bow and am getting great results. The only negitive I have experienced is that my right hand is not as solid as my left so I have had to decrease my poundage. I have been shooting about 30 arrows a day and the strength is starting to come around. It was frustrating not being able to hold my draw as long as I was use to but I am getting more comfortable now. I only wish I would have changed much sooner. Another concern is the availability of off the shelf left hand bows. I think you would be doing your students justice by correcting the problem at a young age. LOL.

dick_cress 07-08-2003 06:05 PM

I' m Right Eye Dominant and right handed. When I went to the No-Peep I had problems with my left (non-dominant) eye tried to take over the aming alignment. I solved this problem by either squinting or closing my left eye. Problem soplved.

Now I can shoot with both eyes open . . . but if my left eye tries to take over . . . I just close it.

jethropew 07-08-2003 07:04 PM

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I shoot with my left eye closed and have never felt that it hindered me or my accuracy. I say shoot what ever feels comfortable and works. I shoot with lots of guys who are same hand/eye dominant and they all close one eye for a better sight picture.

TWIG69 07-08-2003 07:20 PM

Wife is righty w/ left eye dominant she shoots with a $1.99 eye patch available at local pharmacy. Did the trick.Hopethis helps

Geronimo 07-08-2003 08:31 PM

Use the no-peep and keep both eyes open. Concentrate on the target!

c903 07-08-2003 08:41 PM

Geronimo:

That is a contradiction. How do you concentrate on the target and watch the " No-Peep" at the same time? :D

mez 07-08-2003 11:34 PM

I' m right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot with a peep sight and I close my left eye when aiming. It does not affect me at all. I' m not the greatest shot out there but can keep them all in the vitals to 50 yards. As long as you close or cover the dominant eye it won' t be a problem. Close the dominant eye and the open one becomes the dominant eye.

WV Hunter 07-09-2003 05:59 AM

C903...you know what you need to do. Teach her to shoot left handed. She' s only 9, got plenty of time to practice, and build up her strength. In the end, it will be for the best.

Bees 07-09-2003 07:22 AM

left eye dominate, right handed shooter. I too close my left eye, been doing it all my life.:)