Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

goodbye corn

Old 08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

They are all chopping in southern illinois.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

They are combining here in Southwestern Illinois. Not cutting silage, but picking entire fields. This is about as early as I've seen them picking Corn in a long time. Good to see. Expecting near record to record harvests in most of the State.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
That is early.I noticed the corn turning around here but the ears seem very small. Been a weird weather year, I've enjoyed it but things seem different, like cutting corn in Ill. in August.

I get the feeling the deer are going to be either very passive and taking cover or very aggressive and flighty this year. Almost like they're running away from something, they just don't know what.

Nature's pretty simple minded, looking forward to trying to figure what it's saying. Saw one earlier, heard a humming noise like being close to a bee hive but I wasn't. I went out in the corn were a huge swarm of bee's were collecting on a branch next to it. A half hour later all was quiet, the bee's in a huge ball, next day they were gone. Have no idea what that was about, but it was impressive. I've never seen anything like that before.
the bees swarming in a ball like that is for protecting the queen(she's in the middle of it) and for the bees to be swarming in a ball like that is because they are looking for a spot to make a new nest.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love it when the corn goes!! All the deer run to the woods to hide where my stands are!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

amen... this is going to be a good year.. I can feel it! Those bucks won't have any corn to hide in this year!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by -DeerSlayer-
amen... this is going to be a good year.. I can feel it! Those bucks won't have any corn to hide in this year!!
Last year they didn't get to the corn on our property until we where out for shotgun season....
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

we started shelling corn here in so. il but the rain has come (a little to late) but we should be done sometime in oct. goodbye corn-shelling-corn3.jpg