Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

goodbye corn

Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default goodbye corn

There is some corn starting to get cut already. It sure does draw in the deer when it is freshly cut. Saw a 155 10 pt and a 140 8 tonite. Sure am glad to see the corn go byebye even if it is this early. Has to be better than last year.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that is early! That will be a big change over last year, there were some fields that didnt get picked until the snow started to fly around here.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand why you want the corn off

But boy do I love it up

I still hunt it
Nothing more fun than stalking within 10' of a bedded deer and sticking it

But watching a huge buck walk less than 7' past me and not being able to find a hole to take the shot hurt

John
Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

i hope wisco start choppin it down asap!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Bartender

I am with you on this one here in South Eastern, Wi. Last years crop did not get cut until Jan 2010.

PJ were the bucks still in velvet?[
Originally Posted by blakefrautschi
i hope wisco start choppi Lan it down asap!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is early.I noticed the corn turning around here but the ears seem very small. Been a weird weather year, I've enjoyed it but things seem different, like cutting corn in Ill. in August.

I get the feeling the deer are going to be either very passive and taking cover or very aggressive and flighty this year. Almost like they're running away from something, they just don't know what.

Nature's pretty simple minded, looking forward to trying to figure what it's saying. Saw one earlier, heard a humming noise like being close to a bee hive but I wasn't. I went out in the corn were a huge swarm of bee's were collecting on a branch next to it. A half hour later all was quiet, the bee's in a huge ball, next day they were gone. Have no idea what that was about, but it was impressive. I've never seen anything like that before.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

They were. Both out of velvet
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Are they chopping it or picking it? Man!, if there picking it they must have planted it in March. I have been watching a dandy pair of 8's and a goofy 10 come out of the corn every night, sleeping in there I suppose. I hope it stays green for another 3 months, cause I'd like to see all 3 of those bucks make it until next year, besides we got more does around here than you can shake a stick at. Need to thin them out let them bucks grow into 150+
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw some local fields harvested around here too. Glad to see it as well.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

They have been cutting it up already for silage here in the eastern panhandle of WV...the hot droughty summer did a number on it. Last year it was up until November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.