Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Blood Runner Broadheads? >

Blood Runner Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blood Runner Broadheads?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by drockw
I do, but If u only have the energy to shoot a coc 2 blade then u don't need to be discussing mechanicals anyways...
Excellent point. I suppose it's still a good question for those with borderline KE for mechanicals though. Is the rule of thumb still around 45-50 lbs of KE?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on the arrow setup IMHO. If someone is shooting a 300gr arrow with a 2nlade rage and has 70# of ke they are worse off than the guy shooting a 450gr arrow with 65. Just my opinion.

I don't believe there is a "standard", but I do believe that mechanicals can hinder performance in already inefficient setups...

I'll stick with 65+ with at least a 370ish gr arrow as my personal rule of thumb. Just my opinion. I'm shooting over 70#'s KE with a 440gr acc. At only 57# draw weight...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

sigh

KE is not a good way to measure the power of penetration in the setup you're using.

KE is a marketing scheme and little more.

Momentum is what you're looking for - not KE

Think of it this way - a hypothetic 80 grain arrow will have a LOT more KE than a 450 grain arrow. Which do you think will punch through the shoulderblade of a deer?

KE is a 2X multiplier of SPEED - KE is

The kinetic energy of an object is the energy which it possesses due to its motion.[1] It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity

sorry - KE is a lie as it applies to archery
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

KE is certainly viable in archery. It's not end all by any means, but a good way to measure initial energy. Carrying energy is what is going to keep the head moving.

Notice my recommended arrow weights? All fairly heavy. I believe a 500gr slow arrow will out penetrate an animal better than a 300gr fast one everyday so long as it's spines well and sharp.

Ke is useful so long as u understand the other components.

Originally Posted by Ranger77
sigh

KE is not a good way to measure the power of penetration in the setup you're using.

KE is a marketing scheme and little more.

Momentum is what you're looking for - not KE

Think of it this way - a hypothetic 80 grain arrow will have a LOT more KE than a 450 grain arrow. Which do you think will punch through the shoulderblade of a deer?

KE is a 2X multiplier of SPEED - KE is

The kinetic energy of an object is the energy which it possesses due to its motion.[1] It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity

sorry - KE is a lie as it applies to archery
Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

drockw -

an ultra light and fast arrow produces a lot more KE than a slow heavy arrow

IF KE is so important like most compound shooters think - they'll choose the ultra light and fast arrows on an elephant hunt, right?

watch any hunting show on DVD - watch the new 2010 Real Tree videos and Tiffany "Bad Penetration" Lakoski stick 3 bucks and get ultra poor penetration. I bet she's getting more KE in her bow than I do in my recurve ........ yet I blow clean through deer and she gets 6-8" penetration.

KE is pretty much worthless - its a measurement of .... well, I defined it about.

Momentum is what matters - KE is a marketing tool
Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

shot 2 bucks opening day delaware with bloodrunner 2 blade. one blew thru shoulder and stuck in opposite shoulder the other was pass thru. neither made it 100yds from pt of impact.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wrong on the KE part, but I totally agree with all about poor penetration etc. Did I not mention I shoot 440gr acc's, and last year shot 530gr??? KE is another part in the equation.

If you don't think a heavier arrow out of the same bow produces higher ke then u have not tested it...

I never said u were wrong, just that ke is useful in comparison.
Originally Posted by Ranger77
drockw -

an ultra light and fast arrow produces a lot more KE than a slow heavy arrow

IF KE is so important like most compound shooters think - they'll choose the ultra light and fast arrows on an elephant hunt, right?

watch any hunting show on DVD - watch the new 2010 Real Tree videos and Tiffany "Bad Penetration" Lakoski stick 3 bucks and get ultra poor penetration. I bet she's getting more KE in her bow than I do in my recurve ........ yet I blow clean through deer and she gets 6-8" penetration.

KE is pretty much worthless - its a measurement of .... well, I defined it about.

Momentum is what matters - KE is a marketing tool
Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mnbowstalker
Has anyone shot these broadheads? I am curious how they compare to the rage 2 blades. Do they fly the same as a field point or would I have to change my sights?
Since you didn't ask about penetration or KE, I won't address it.

As long as your bow is properly tuned and you are shooting properly spined arrows, you should get the same flight as you have been. If you don't, I would be making sure my bow was in tune.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not shot the broadhead but as another poster mentioned the design sure has alot of dull edges. First thing I noticed looking at it.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this on another site December of last year. It is my experience with the 3 blade bloodrunner. Sorry for the mention of KE but it is what most are familiar with. A mention of momentum would not be a reference most know.

A week ago I got a chance to see how the Bloodrunners perform on a deer. Of course they are razor sharp right out of the pack and "fly like fieldpoints" but I wanted to see how they did on a deer.

The deer was quartering away at about 8-10 yds. The arrow went through the near side backstrap and came out into the far side leg about half way between elbow and shoulder, breaking it in two. Deer went about 30-40 yds, hit the ground, coughed up about a pint+ of blood, expired. It would have easily been a pass through except for the bone hit.

The bow is an Allegiance @ 54lbs, 29" DL, smooth mods. The arrow is a CT Whitetail XP, .400 spine with a 50 grain insert for a 17% FOC, weight about 400 gr and speed around 260fps with a KE of 60 ftlbs.

The Bloodrunner busted the bone clean in two with some smaller pieces and no noticeable damage to the BH. I will be using these some more in the future. This particular BH is still good enough to kill deer but it is now a fox BH.
Attached Thumbnails Blood Runner Broadheads?-image0002.jpg   Blood Runner Broadheads?-image0003.jpg   Blood Runner Broadheads?-image0004.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.