Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New hunting land!!! Need advice! >

New hunting land!!! Need advice!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New hunting land!!! Need advice!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Spike

Default New hunting land!!! Need advice!

Me and one of my buddies got some new land to hunt this year. Its 900 acres of corn fields and woods. I just dont know where to even start with stand placement? I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on how you would go about finding the right trees to hunt? I would really appreciate it! Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

First i would walk the property, scout the property. Once you find sign of where they are coming out and scouting gives you the opertunity to see where they are coming out.

But you can never go wrong with setting up on pinch points, draws, coves or places where deer funnel to go through a ditch/thick cover.

IMO walk the property and think like a deer, where you would go etc..etc.. sound dumb but usally works for me on new property.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with what he said above. The thing i would add is to use a trail camera if possible. Then you really know what you have wondering around.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Spike

Yeah i just bought a camera yesterday and am planning on getting it out this weekend. Im excited to see whats out there! The farmer said theres a ton of deer out there and are destroying alot of his crops! Question about scouting? I live in northwest indiana and its flat here so i dont have any high places to see real far to scout from. Just woods and a bunch of cornfields! Where should i scout from? Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if you only have one trail cam i would pick the best spot on the farm to put it and like i said IDK when your season starts but i would try to walk all of the property and get to know it. As for scouting if all the feilds are corn there is a chance that you will not see many deer if you are in your truck with binos. If you have a climber i would try to set it up on a feild edge to see if you can catch some deer entering the corn. But really you are SOL if there is corn. Your best bet is to walk the property and look for deer sign and set that trail cam up. Might even want to put some attractiant or bait if its legal in you state.

Also i really dont know how the land looks but if you are able to scout from the back of you truck to give you a better vantage point i would do that..
Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk with the farmer and find out what he knows. It's his crops, he will know where he is getting the most damage and where he is seeing the deer. Then before even stepping foot on the property, I would look at satellite images and look for pinch points, funnels etc. Here we are getting real close to season, I want to find out as much as I can before stepping foot on new property. That would be my approach. No sense in scenting the whole area up.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

that about sums it all up, I would add inviting me over to help with herd location and elimination
Originally Posted by nctaxi
Talk with the farmer and find out what he knows. It's his crops, he will know where he is getting the most damage and where he is seeing the deer. Then before even stepping foot on the property, I would look at satellite images and look for pinch points, funnels etc. Here we are getting real close to season, I want to find out as much as I can before stepping foot on new property. That would be my approach. No sense in scenting the whole area up.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

If there is a creek running through it, thats a good place to start. More than likely the deer are going to cross it somewhere. They wont just cross it willy nilly, find the couple spots where it is crossed the most and hang a stand. Its a good starting point....if there's a creek.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Bartender

Do you have a satalite map of this said property you can post up so we may digest it?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Spike

im working on that right now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.