Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hanging a Hang On stand >

Hanging a Hang On stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging a Hang On stand

Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Spike

Default Hanging a Hang On stand

Hi everybody. All I have ever hunted out of is Ladder stands and Climbers and I recently purchased a Hang on stand with some climbing sticks. I am wanting to know the safest way to go about hanging the sticks and the stand. I'm not a huge fan of heights even though I will go up and sit in a treestand, so I want to be able to hang this safely. It looks like I will need to get a lineman's belt to wrap around the tree and slide up as I attach the sticks? Is there a good online video I can watch to see the proper way to hang a hang on?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Easiest way I found was to attach a rope to the hang on stand. Throw end of rope around branch above where you intend to hang stand. Pull stand up to intended location and tie to tree or have a buddy hold until you can climb up to attach stand. Put up sticks, climb, attach safety harness and attach hang on stand to tree. Easy breezy.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

What Red said...and having a buddy there is a safe practice. I try to always take someone with me every time I hang a stand. Much easier if my buddy can climb up under me and just help support the stand while I get it strapped to the tree.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Linemans belt is a must.....as is someone being with you. Just use common sense, stay within your comfort level, and be patient.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Spike

The belt is a must for safety , and a extension ladder dont hurt .
Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

A linesmen belt & a stand bracket is the way to go. There's a bracket you can mount on to any stand that makes hanging lock on must easier. Just climb up & throw the strap with one side of the bracket on it to the tree. Lift up your stand & hang it right over the bracket leaving you hands free to adjust & tighten your strap.

Lone Wolf makes an easy hook system for their stands. I bought several of them so now set them out in different locations through out the woods. Carry my stand it & decide which tree I want to hunt.

I’ll see if I can find the one I’m thinking about & post it for you. OK I found it!

http://bowhunting.net/2010/08/gear-e...unting-system/
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're putting it up prior to the season, take a buddy, use a safety belt, and it helps to bring an extension ladder, and be carefull!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

I've never been lucky enought to have someone help me, and yes, you need to always be careful and let someone know exactly where you are if you are alone. The linemans belt (actually a harness) has been mentioned but be sure to understand how to use it properly. Anytime you are on the ladder working on the stand or putting the next stick up above you need to strap your harness to the tree so that you don't slide down if you slip. This is my procedure I use most of the time; All my stands have a decent and lengthy cord attached to haul up my pack and bow. I leave the treestand on the ground and attach the end of the rope to my belt loop with a carabiner clip, the other end still attached to the stand, preferably near the seat. Assemble the ladder (sticks or pole-type) as I climb. It is much safer to make sure your last ladder rung is about a foot above where your seat will be on your treestand. It's much easier and safer to step from the ladder down onto the platform. Get comfortable and make strap adjustments if needed when at the top of the ladder and then use the top rung sort of as a pulley for your hoist cord. Then, if you have to stop or it gets tangled you can tie off on the next rung down. Position the stand at the height that you want it and then tie off the cord on a rung that is out of the way. This will allow you to strap your stand to the tree without having to hold it up at the same time. All treestands should come with an instructional video and safety harness. Use them both!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

I like the look of the system MkMGobl linked to. It makes a lot of sense ot me, but $105 seems a bit pricey for a strap and 4 smallish metal brackets. I think teh stand has to be compatible with the Lone Wolf hanger system. I have aLone Wlf hang-on (Alpha Assault), but it was made before they had that system and I don't believe it works with it. Love my Alpha tho.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to yourself, "you don't like heights". Hanging a stand isn't easy and a lot harder for people who have problems with heights.

Before you head out with the stand, learn how it goes together. I'd bet you'd say to yourself "this things seems kind of spooky moving around like it does." Get more ratchet straps and cinch the thing up tight. They never come with enough.

You could use the climber. Lower it down with the rope you used to pull things up. It's a linemans belt on roids.

Never assemble the steps and attempt to attach them to the tree in one piece unless your absolutly sure they won't come apart. Get a section caught on a limb while stting it down can dislodge a section sending it crashing down on you.

I have lok ons and steps and I think they require more attention than any other set up. Really don't like them. Some of them because of the way they are cause me to think my foots in the right place when it isn't. Really have to stay heads up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.