Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tips on teaching a beginner about shot placement >

Tips on teaching a beginner about shot placement

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips on teaching a beginner about shot placement

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tips on teaching a beginner about shot placement

My girlfriend just bought her first bow and will be hunting with me this year. She is having a hard time understanding quartering away shots and angles. She knows where the heart and lungs is located and were you should shoot when they are broadside. Do any of you guys have any tips or ideas of how to show her? I remeber there was an internet game that had a bunch of differant deer positions and stuff but cant find it.

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

imagine the kill zone being a volley ball...now pop that sucker!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have alway heard, aim for where the arrow would exit, Don't aim for the kill zone when there quartering away. Aim for where the arrow would come out on the other side. So what would be a gut shot broad side, will get the lungs on a shot quartering away. I have never taken a quartering away shot, so I cant confirm the outcome, just what I have always been told and heard from other people.

Last edited by V8Ranger; 08-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Aim in line with the opposite leg works for me on quartering away shots. That what i was told, and it hasnt failed me yet.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

^same here. tell her to aim just behind what would be the far shoulder, i was taught, and taught my littl brothers, to find the far leg and follow it up then ain just behind it and it hasn't failed me either.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a link to a great little game to help her understand shot placement,.....enjoy!

Its awesome to know you GF has an interest in bowhunting!

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu.../deergeometry/

Last edited by zmax hunter; 08-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
I have alway heard, aim for where the arrow would exit, Don't aim for the kill zone when there quartering away. Aim for where the arrow would come out on the other side. So what would be a gut shot broad side, will get the lungs on a shot quartering away. I have never taken a broad side shot, so I cant confirm the outcome, just what I have always been told and heard from other people.
I like this one, if you aim for the opposite leg there is a good chance that you will hit the leg, makeing for a bad blood trail and poor penetration..(if you hit the leg) i think where i want the arrow to exit.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

buy a 3d deer target and practice at the different angles. People often worry about the quartering to/away but forget the high low dimension when hunting from an elevated tree stand. Look at where the arrow is going in and where it would come out is the best practice in my mind.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Here you go, remember not to aim behind the front leg unless its quartering away. To many folks hit the guts or the diaphram, go right above the front leg on a broadside shot.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 5575gb
Here you go, remember not to aim behind the front leg unless its quartering away. To many folks hit the guts or the diaphram, go right above the front leg on a broadside shot.

wonder why this pic doesn't show the wind pipe or esophagus?