Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow vs arrow

Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default bow vs arrow

can your bow speed, 350fps, be more than your carbon arrow can take..ig splitting the top of the arrow, where the nock goes?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

in short NO, if the arrow has the correct spline.....and if your bow is tuned properly, should't ever split an arrow just because of how fast it's being launched, unless the arrow has damage of some sort..
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

No - unless the arrow/nock is previously damaged.

With the assumption that the arrow is properly spined carbon or aluminum arrow.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

what is properly splined? or spined?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The correct term is spine and it is the stiffness of the arrow.There is static spine,(how much a shaft flexes when checked on a spine tester) and then there is dynamic spine which is what the spine does when shot.

An arrow has to be stiff enough to handle the stress of being shot while still having some flex and vibration.You get too light on spine and the shaft will flex uncontrollably when shot and is impossible to shoot accurately.

Stiff arrow does just the opposite,doesn't absorb all the energy from the bow and has little to no flex or vibration when shot.Harder to tune but can be shot extremely accurately with a small amount of forgiveness lost.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

so what would be a good spine fer 350fps?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
so what would be a good spine fer 350fps?

That depends on what arrow length you will be using.Typically,350 fps dictates a 30" or greater draw length and an arrow at least 29" long.A longer arrow flexes more so it needs to be stiffer.

NOW,the confusing part.Spine is measured in deflection,which means the higher the number,the more it flexes.Typically a .340 spine is how much the arrow flexes when measured at static.BUT and this is a huge but()some manufactuers,for whatever reason thought it would be a good idea to size their shafts opposite of deflection.Easton arrows that have .400 on the side of the shaft represent actual deflection but carbon Express will have 350 that correlates to nothing and their higher numbers mean stiffer.

So to answer the question,a really stiff arrow is needed for a bow that shoots 350 fps and typically the arrow is longer and this means it should be even stiffer so most of the time,a .300 spine or stiffer is needed for a bow that shoots that hard.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
That depends on what arrow length you will be using.Typically,350 fps dictates a 30" or greater draw length and an arrow at least 29" long.A longer arrow flexes more so it needs to be stiffer.

NOW,the confusing part.Spine is measured in deflection,which means the higher the number,the more it flexes.Typically a .340 spine is how much the arrow flexes when measured at static.BUT and this is a huge but()some manufactuers,for whatever reason thought it would be a good idea to size their shafts opposite of deflection.Easton arrows that have .400 on the side of the shaft represent actual deflection but carbon Express will have 350 that correlates to nothing and their higher numbers mean stiffer.

So to answer the question,a really stiff arrow is needed for a bow that shoots 350 fps and typically the arrow is longer and this means it should be even stiffer so most of the time,a .300 spine or stiffer is needed for a bow that shoots that hard.
alright, i checked his arrows, they are 300's, just cant figure out how he split the nock end?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by achinaseller
hi,friends,i am a young man who want to create myself bussiness in France,i want to wholesale some high quality,low prices products to sell,and i know China goods are very cheap.so i search china electronics wholesale seller in google,i have looked many wholesale website,but i found a web ,it have Charming picture and Attractive prices,i want to select it,its web address is china wholesale web. and the casio original watches such as g shockwatches, it have the Casio watches offical authorized proof,I want wholesale,please give me suggestion,thank you very muchbest regardsjack

and go peddle your china crap in france.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by noidurism
and go peddle your china crap in france.

It was reported and it was deleted.

Thanks mods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.