Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead question >

Broadhead question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead question

Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead question

Hey guys just wanting some opinions on a few different broadheads. Im currently shooting slick tricks and im looking to switch this year. I havent jumped on the Rage bandwagon and have never shot mechanicals. Ive been looking at some of the G5 broadheads and some of the NAP broadheads. The ones ive been looking at are the G5 striker and wasnt to sure about the G5 mechanicals on how good they were and if its even worth switching to mechanicals ive also been looking at the NAP hell razor and the blood runner. What are some of your guys opinions?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm switching to Slick Tricks this year. Just out of curiosity, why are you switching?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt you will see a lot terminal difference between the G5 Striker and the ST. I have been shooting off-season suburban kill permit deer with both of them in preparation for an upcoming bear hunt. Both heads are extremely well-made and penetrate deeply. The ST's make more noise in flight but they produce a slightly better blood trail - in my opinion. I chose the G5 strikers for my bear hunt because the ST noise in flight was troubling for me.

An expandable like the Rage2 or T3 will produce dramatically better blood trails when well-placed but require greater precision in delivery to avoid major bones.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the G5 Strikers last year with good results. Blew right thru the opposite shoulder of the 8 Pt I shot and buried in the dirt with the blades intact.

Curious as to why you want to change though....if I ever run out of heads I'll probably buy the ST's.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the strikers are good heads. I don't shoot those but I have the Wacems which are identicle and I have been shooting them the last four years our so. I like the low profile cut on contact design. I have only had to replace one set of blades and it was because I hit the spine on a deer that went to bound off when I shot so he lowered enough and I hit dead center on the spine. The blades didn't break they just were chewed up and not worth messing with. I still have and shoot the head though.

When I decide to replace these I will probably go with the slick tricks or the strikers. I was looking at some of the ST and have heard great things about them on here and I like the price on them as well.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Using the same broadheads

One type on the main bow; another on the backup bow.

Been using them for fifteen years or so. Just as long as the undamaged broadheads see the arkansas stone every year, I'm satisfied.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Snuffer SS.

I think this design has it all.

Proper blade angle, adequate cutting diameter. ConC, very strong. excellent penetration, good blood trail. tunes and shoots very well.

I went with the Snuffer SS because of the warranty and I took a jewelers loupe, and examined the welds on the SS and found them to be the best.

Both G5 and NAP make a very similar head, take a look at all of them and decide.

The Slick Trick design, by who ever, leaves a bit to be desired because of the blade angle (IMHO). the short head is easier to tune for most, but, the Snuffer type also tunes easily.

I see no reason to give up penetration, when tuning is not an issue.

Good Luck

Here is an excellent test shoot, of I believe 14 different heads shot side by side out of the same bow, a long but interesting read with lots a video.

It will show you a bunch of good stuff.

http://www.broadheadtalk.com/broadhe...challenge.html

Leo
Old 08-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey guys just wanting some opinions on a few different broadheads. Im currently shooting slick tricks and im looking to switch this year.
You're only going to be down grading.

The Slick Trick design, by who ever, leaves a bit to be desired because of the blade angle (IMHO). the short head is easier to tune for most, but, the Snuffer type also tunes easily.

I see no reason to give up penetration, when tuning is not an issue.
It's been proven time and time again that this thought has no merit. The short heads like the ST will and do out penetrate the longer heads like the snuffer.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
You're only going to be down grading.

It's been proven time and time again that this thought has no merit. The short heads like the ST will and do out penetrate the longer heads like the snuffer.
I got to agree with bigbulls. I have shot a lot of heads over the years and slick tricks are about as good as it gets in a replaceable blade head. some of your other choices are also excellent heads, but I promise that none are better, maybe just as good but not better.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot slick tricks and Strikers, both shoot the exact same out of my Admiral. Never noticed the increased noise with the slick tricks. No matter which of the two I have used on deer it was always the same result.... Dead Deer with little trouble tracking them, never had one make it more than 80 yds.

The new G5 T3 mechanical heads are impressive, here is a video of one passing straight through a bear's shoulder. To me, that says alot about their penetration and effectiveness. Pay attention to the blood trail leading to the bear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDaJT...feature=search

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.