Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Smart phone video\range finder sight >

Smart phone video\range finder sight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smart phone video\range finder sight

Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 1250x
Is it true that the smart measure app will run even after using advanced task killer and burn up battery or use 85% as some reviews have said?
Thanks
I use advanced app killer and it doesn't on my phone.THe screen lighting burns more power than anything on the phone.I turn it down.My battery usage app tells me that smart measure doesn't use that much power.
Check this out:

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Are you guys really using smart measure its seams to not have very much range and in accurate. The video from the phone is to cool though. I'm just exstremely skeptical about smart measure also are you able to have smart measure convert to yardage?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntingangler.com
Are you guys really using smart measure its seams to not have very much range and in accurate. The video from the phone is to cool though. I'm just exstremely skeptical about smart measure also are you able to have smart measure convert to yardage?
It will convert to Meters.
I am working on putting a bow hunter friendly app together that will make it easier to use.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Seriously, this is a cool idea.

Would I use it... I don't know probably not until the video quality on the phones gets a little better/allow zoom while filming. Overall though, this is a seriously awesome idea. With the proper app built not only turn your phone into a range finder.. but the possible of using it as a range finder/sight... Pretty cool, but one problem that I could see is that if you remove the phone and put it back on... wouldn't it mess up the accuracy?

Now after reading through 10 pages of certain people flaming you, they should be ashamed of what they were saying. If you don't like the product... then don't try it... and until you do, there is no reason to bash this guy... There is no need to be that close minded.... heck that's what this country was built on, new ideas and entrepreneurs..
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

No kidding about the flamers. I'm sure there were plenty of pessimist when a certain guy was inventing the light bulb too.

Chris
Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like you need to just stay home and play with your phone. No telling how many
deer you let get away fondling your damn phone. When im hunting ienjoy getting away
from all the tecnology and enjoy the relaxation. Who the hell wants to be bothered with the internet and other stesses of life while hunting. Might as well be at work
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by browtine7
sounds like you need to just stay home and play with your phone. No telling how many
deer you let get away fondling your damn phone. When im hunting ienjoy getting away
from all the tecnology and enjoy the relaxation. Who the hell wants to be bothered with the internet and other stesses of life while hunting. Might as well be at work
So then don't. Don't need to bash other people because of something you don't like. Do I play with my phone when I'm hunting, yes I'll admit that I dink around with it now and then, and have been known to check these forums while in my stand. Does that mean that I enjoy hunting any less than you or anyone else? No, I love the hunt, it's kind of nice to be able to check the weather if I see dark clouds roll in or what not.

So no I won't 'stay home and play with my phone' I'll go and sit in my stand and hunt as I always do, with or without playing on my phone.

Also, if you read what the product is actually about, it's not foddling with your phone, so what if you have it sitting on a mount on your bow.. just like a small camera?

Don't judge me and don't tell me what I should do, because you don't know me.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I carry my phone in the woods with me as well but only keep it on me for emergency's. Good luck killing big deer while piddling with your phone. Im not bashing you. If thats what you enjoy then please continue. I just like paying full attention to my surrroundings while im hunting as it only takes a split second for a buck of a life time to escape with you only getting a glimpse of him walking away. Happy hunting however you choose to do so
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

only read first page... catching up

Last edited by bscofield; 10-27-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default Funny!

Yeah, this isn't piddling with a phone while hunting. It goes in a bracket and stays there until you see a deer.
I guess that is hard for some to figure out...
I do use my phone to check the hourly weather (rain %) and for blue hour( after sunset time) to leave the woods and to let my wife know that I didn't fall out of my climber( it tells her where I am located and she can see me move real time).
I have paid bills with it while in the woods, so I could spend more time in the woods.This would actually increase my chances of knocking down a big one.Stick that in your slide rule and smoke it! HAHAH! J\K.
I could check work email in the field vs. sitting at a desk in an office.
THe list goes on and on. I'd rather be in my tree waiting for the big daddy than sitting at home paying bills wishing I was out there.
My wife wants me to make an app (the phones have a built in acceleromoter) that informs he if I fall out of a tree( either hanging or hitting the ground or even dropping the phone).Only downside is if the phone was destroyed from a fall and an acknowledgement couldn't be made.
It is a great idea and I may out it together once the season ends.
Typically I am live broadcasting anyway- phone stationary and I ignore it.
In some states you can download calls to use.You can also find your way out of wherever you are if you get lost( in a new area etc)...
If I am surfing the web I stop and look every 30 seconds or so. The woods remains my priority and I can spend more time in it with a "mobile office"...
My phone has an 8 mega pixel camera. This was unheard of just a few short years ago in any recording device.
The real issue is light gathering not video quality. THe Kodak playsport can record in 1080p.
My android phone has auto focus.This sometimes creates a problem when it sees the branches on a tree vs. the target further away. The onyl way around this (the code could be written) is to have someone else filming the hunt. You can't always have your hunting buddy giving up his time to film you.
The iphone has an attachment with a zoom lense and improved light gathering.The android phones have the ability to zoom when recording, the code just hasn't been written yet. Someone will if I don't. I am sure the android phones may follow suit if they will someday make them more alike and settle on a single upgradable platform.
The key here is really saving your own hunt on video with a piece of equipment that you already have and use for gps etc. Why not, you are already carrying it.
As for a sight being removed and reinstalled.There are many ways around this. A scoped rifle has the possibility why couldn't a phone on a bow? THe phone could also be recalibrated every time it is installed by a point of reference on the digital screen etc.
THe funny thing is that it isn't going away. The technology is new and is openiing all kinds of possibilities outside of hunting.
I know people that are using the phones to quickly calculate bullet drop now on long range shots.
You cen even download most states rules and regs for hunting to your phone for quick access in the field.
This post is much like it might have been before computers came out( which would have made posting impossible without them)- when people made fun of PC's. Now the minority who doesn't use one is laughed at or unemployable without pc skills....and on...and on.

Last edited by xdamageincx; 10-27-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.