HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Can I Measure My Own Draw Length?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/327882-can-i-measure-my-own-draw-length.html)

LifexIsxHunting 08-17-2010 04:40 PM

Can I Measure My Own Draw Length??

How would i find my own draw length? or is that somthing i would have to go to a local bowshop to get measured for?

Thanks

ropaque 08-17-2010 05:13 PM

open both arms measure tip of middle finger to tip of opposite middle finger then split number in half. but best way is to go to shop different people have different anchor points so this may change your dl slightly.

PY Antlers 08-18-2010 04:56 AM

Put a little paint or something on your finger, draw your bow and touch your arrow where you want it to end. Then you can measure the arrow and make your decision from there.

Kybuckhunter 08-18-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by ropaque (Post 3664685)
open both arms measure tip of middle finger to tip of opposite middle finger then split number in half. but best way is to go to shop different people have different anchor points so this may change your dl slightly.

I think you are close but you should divide by 2.5 not 2.

halfbakedi420 08-18-2010 05:18 AM

my buddy measured his draw.....bought a bow fer his draw...then he bought a quick release, and pow...now his draw is off due to the length of the wrist strap..never ending battle fer him lol

wallhangr 08-18-2010 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter (Post 3664912)
I think you are close but you should divide by 2.5 not 2.

Yep, 2.5 - that measurement may be off by a bit, but it's agood place to start.

UPHunter08 08-18-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3664922)
my buddy measured his draw.....bought a bow fer his draw...then he bought a quick release, and pow...now his draw is off due to the length of the wrist strap..never ending battle fer him lol

A little confused...most releases are adjustable so it shouldn't make much difference if he's using the same anchor point. :confused: IOW, unless his hand length has changed, his trigger finger and anchor point are unchanged, and the strap on the release should be adjusted accordingly. (edit: unless you mean his original measurement was just for 'fingers' and no release...then that makes sense)

At any rate, I echo the suggestions above that it's best to just have the guys at the local pro shop check it out. If his bow is set at the wrong draw length it could possibly jack up his shooting form.

NITEHAWKJS 08-18-2010 01:53 PM

The easiest way that I have found is to stand with your fist against the wall and lay a yard stick on top of it and use your thumb on the other hand to determine the draw length.

halfbakedi420 08-18-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by UPHunter08 (Post 3665043)
A little confused...most releases are adjustable so it shouldn't make much difference if he's using the same anchor point. :confused: IOW, unless his hand length has changed, his trigger finger and anchor point are unchanged, and the strap on the release should be adjusted accordingly. (edit: unless you mean his original measurement was just for 'fingers' and no release...then that makes sense)

At any rate, I echo the suggestions above that it's best to just have the guys at the local pro shop check it out. If his bow is set at the wrong draw length it could possibly jack up his shooting form.

yup :party0005: