HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Velvet Let him walk? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/327827-velvet-let-him-walk.html)

deernutz 08-16-2010 07:33 PM

Velvet Let him walk?

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing big just happy to see a decent buck coming in to my stand. Question to all if you had a chance to shot him with a bow in velvet would you? I'm in the Army and have limited time to hunt and I hunt on a hunt club. The rule is 6 pts and he's legal for the club. Another hunter just set up on the field edge about 300 yds from my stand. I have mine on the ridge that goes into the field. I know I'll have a crack at him before he gets to the field. Here in SC the season opened on sunday.

I wanna let him go but I fear that the other hunter will shot him if I don't. What do u all think? Help:confused0024:

PY Antlers 08-16-2010 07:47 PM

If you only have a short amount of time, I'm thinking I probably would. But I guess it's up to you.

deernutz 08-16-2010 07:52 PM

I know it's killing me ever since I checked my camera. See all the extra pts on the brows. Next year he would pretty darn nice.

blakefrautschi 08-16-2010 09:16 PM

most deer would be nicer the next year... but those brow tines are tempting!

i think i would probably shoot him if i had limited time.

dpj1030 08-17-2010 03:14 AM

Im in Iraq right now so kill him for me! haha

JNM86WVU 08-17-2010 04:46 AM

Thank you..

First of all, Thank you for everything you guys do.. I'm agreeing though, with all that junk around his brows and limited hunting time I'd be taking him.. It is always nice to let 'em grow, but with being on a hunting club (along with him being a legal shooter) and knowing there's a guy 300 yards from you, chances are he's not gonna make it till next year.. Good luck with whatever you decide..

BIGBUCK17 08-17-2010 05:23 AM

i would love to see what that deer looks like next year! i mean its decent but from the pic its not even outside the ears yet. but yea if your in a club with some other dude huntin right down from you if you dont shoot that deer he or someone else will. but if he happens to make it to next year that will be an awesome deer.

Whitetailaddict13 08-17-2010 06:28 AM

id kill him. that will be a dandy bow kill. those brow tines are neat! just seals the deal.

KCMO Cityboy 08-17-2010 06:49 AM

That's your own decision to make. He's legal in every aspect and I, personally, would love to take a buck in velvet. I also have very limited time to hunt and have learned that any opportunity for a shot is a great shot - and I've never regretted a harvest, even the small guys.

V8Ranger 08-17-2010 09:09 AM

With it being a hunting club and you only have limited time to hunt, I wouldn't think twice to take him. Its a nice buck and I think it would be cool to have a Velvet rack. The brows look real cool too.... And thanks to all of you service men, and woman, who make it possible for us to be able try and decide which buck to take.... Thank you.... :hail::party0005: