Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting over a trail or off to the side. >

Bowhunting over a trail or off to the side.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting over a trail or off to the side.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default Bowhunting over a trail or off to the side.

Ok Im really just getting into this bow hunting w/that being said is it best to have your stand as close to the trail that the deer are on as long as your high up in the trees (>15ft) or is better to hunt away from the trail overlooking it and shoot to it (about 25-30 yds away)?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have mine set about 15 yards off of the trail. and i wouldnt get any closer then that.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

Thanks, the tree Ive picked out to hang my stand is about 25-30 yds off the main trail but there are other trails that will be w/in 15-20 yds and possibly pass under neath it. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing by being off the main trail where i see most of the activity. On all these tv shows the deer walk underneath the stands thats what got me to thinking should I be hunting on the trail or off to the side.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PutnamHonigford
I have mine set about 15 yards off of the trail. and i wouldnt get any closer then that.
That's about what I shoot for too... Depending on trees available - anywhere from 10-20 yards off the trail I expect the deer with about 15 being preferred..

You don't really want the deer walking right underneath you...
Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Like these other guys said set it 10-20 off the trail. Last year i wasn't familiar with the area i was hunting in and i set my stand in a tree that i later found out was right on top of the trail. I got busted so many times because the deer would walk right under me then the first thing they would do is look up at me and run. The worst part was that a nice 10 point walked right under me and i couldn't get a shot on him then he spooked. Never saw him again. I'm going to make sure my stand is set off the trail this year. Good luck
Old 08-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try for 20 to 25 yards off the trail and 20 feet up.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really don't want to be right on a trail.....you'll have deer come down the trail and never get a good shot opportunity. I like my stands 20yds off a trail, (min 15' up preferably 18' to 22')......if you're closer(like 10 yds) you get some high angle shots and the old deadly double lung shot is pretty tough. Last.........if you have a good trail........follow it until you find another trail intersecting it........set you stand 20 yards off of both trails. I try to have a minimun of 2 differant trails and many have 3 differant trails within 20 yards of my stands.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer 15- 25 yards, but sometimes depending on the area I may get a little closer. Just be very careful on your approach to your stand. It sounds like you are in a hot area with many trails close by and you don't want to give away your location.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Son, if hunters knew

exactly where a deer was going to be at 8:35 A.M., they wouldn't call it hunting.
Only a BS artist is sure just where the deer will be.

Once on a hike, I kicked out a nice buck, hiding in a thicket, some 10 yards from a well traveled highway.
I once tracked a deer on a small old farm, right to a lived in house. The magnificent rub he made on a tree was right next to the rear cellar door. I wondered if he ever stopped in for lunch.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

also keep in mind that as the seasons(summer to fall to winter) change so do the travel routes of deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.