Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Shop

Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default Bow Shop

I'm weighing opening a bow shop in my area. There is no immediate competition in my area, 1 outdoor range and no indoor ranges. I was thinking of a retail shop, indoor range, etc.

What would make an ultimate bow shop if you were designing it? What do you like or dislike about your local bow shops? How much do you spend per year at your local shop and how much on bow hunting but not at your local shop?

Does anyone have exsisting relationships with suppliers that they could help direct me to? Please PM me if you do. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go to the shop near me anymore. I think they are not very customer friendly. I think a shop with an in door shooting range open to the public with the ability to have more than just one lane to shoot in would be nice. Even if I had to pay a couple bucks to be able to drop in and do some shooting on a rainy/snowy day, would be worth it to me. But the main thing that would keep me going back, friendly fast service and not to be treated like I'm putting them out because I only spent $10 or $20 with them. You have to show that you appreciate every dollar you get if you want more of them..
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Customer service customer service customer service. I drive 30 mins out of my way because the close shops don't like my money. I go out of my way to not get ignored and not to deal with someone looking down on me because guess what. You have the same stuff as the next guy and everyones within a few dollars of each other. So simply treat your customers very well and they take care of you.

Ryan.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! Keep them coming!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

From what I’ve seen and would offer as a word of advice is;
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket! If you can sell other products and services under the same roof by all means do it. Archery is seasonal and you need something else to get you through the hard times. Selling other goods and services will sustain you also until you get established; getting the word out regardless how good you are will take time.

Think it through thoroughly, and good luck. Customer service above price is a prerequisite.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Spike

The Rev. I couldn't agree with you more. I actually have some ideas on other opportunities that the space could be used for, side line or different lines of products outside of bow's, etc.

I would plan to have a small 3D range and a single lane as someone asked earlier. Not just a single lane.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

i would not only have a indoor range but a place to have coffee and a snack while i waited to shoot in case it was busy..sit down and chat and chew...lol
early to bed early to rise hunt like heck and make up lies....
Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

My big problem with a few of the shops around here is the way they treat their customers if they arent shooting the latest and greatest of a certain brand of bow. If I could suggest I would say you should carry several brands and don't discriminate againt those who are not shooting the particular bow you shoot. Tell them the good things about what they shoot. Offer more than just archery products also, try to have hunting accessories for more than just archery deer hunting if you are able to. My area has many waterfowlers that have to drive at least 30 miles just to get simple hunting items. Try to find out other popular activities in your area. As far as more suggestions for the Archery side of it, don't try to push things onto people when they might not need it or want the most expensive item. Also give people hunting tips, they may not hunt anywhere near you, not everything needs to be a secret.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

well it depends, id love one with both indoor targets and video hunter. also i love being able to go into a shop and talk with the guys there for hours so make sure you have plenty of staff lol. other than that i cant say much besides carry more of a variety of items, i hate it when i go to a couple different places and they all have the same exact stuff