Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Broadheads? >

What Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Broadheads?

Old 07-06-2003, 09:21 AM

Default What Broadheads?

I have just bought a bow and well matched carbon arrows and would like to know if I should get mecanical broadheads or 3-blades.[:-]
Old 07-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Broadheads?

I have found my best shooting to be with 2 blade heads with carbon arrows. I have shot mech. heads for years but for the past two years I have switched to carbon arrows and have not been happy with the penitration I was getting so I tried grouping several different heads and found that bear razorheads or Nugentblades by magnus give me my tightest groups with very little work spintesting and switching heads around to tune them. The Rothar snuffer might be a good choice for the carbon arrows because its design gives it excellent penitration if you are set on a 3 blade head, but it is best to try them to see how well they will shoot for you.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:35 AM

I was using the Spitfire mechanical with no problems. I just switched to Steelforce broadheads to try. I haven' t hunted with them yet but they shoot and group like my field points. I shot them at 260 and 275 fps. They fly great. No matter what head you try, take and shoot them so you no where they hit and if you have to make any changes. Such as retuning bow or heads.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the new toy.............i use carbon arrows as well and i use plain ol 3 blade muzzy' s......
Old 07-06-2003, 12:55 PM
nub

Straightshot: Without knowing anything about you or your set up, how can we make that choice for you? How do you know you have a well matched set of carbon arrows if you don' t know what type and size of heads you' ll be shooting? Give us a little more info and perhaps we can steer you in the right direction. Don' t take this the wrong way, but from your opening line, I' d suggest you stay away from mechanical heads.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.broadheadtests.com click on the Mechanial vs fixed section. It should offer you some help in choosing what is best for you.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:46 PM

well....I' m a thunderheads fan, but I use aluminum arrows. I tried the carbons.....Yeah, they' re fast cause of there weight....but I feel that they don' t have good penetration(knock down power) at a further distance. I' m just going to stick with my aluminums.