Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Getting Old Sucks!! >

Getting Old Sucks!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting Old Sucks!!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I turned 51 this year(DAMNIT). I have killed more than my fair share of animals and still the anticpation is incredible. I have been shooting every morning and evening for a while now. Shooting is harder. Lifting weights is harder. The freaking treadmill is way harder. It's a good thing that hunting is sweeter and I'm able to enjoy the full experience of being in the mountains or it just might not be worth it. 19 more days and then it begins. Although my body isn't really ready and my mind cannot stand the anticipation. I'm still like a kid, with a pocket full of money, in front of a candy store, waiting for it to open. Bring on 2010 elk season. When do you guys start?? Good luck to all of you guys and gals.

I hear ya, getting old does suck. Im 45 now, about 3 years ago I had to start wearing reading glasses, really screwed with my pins when trying to anchor. I had to get a Verifier peep, or was it a Clarifier lol, I dont remember, thats another part about getting old I am not looking forward to, memory loss.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Sorry Rev but that's kind of a retarded statement. I think your age is getting to you. How many bowhunters do you know that are 80?? Not very many I bet. Is their state of mind all screwed up?? LMAO!! I'm glad your health is so good and I hope you can hunt until your 200 years old but age is not a state of mind. It is a fact of life. I think that accepting that fact will help individuals live their life to the MAX!! JMHO

That being said, I feel like a million bucks and I always feel my best right before hunting season.
Retarded? I don't think so. I know men that after 50 just gave up on doing things. They have boats that just sit there, they have motor cycles they don't ride. I ask them to do things even most are younger than I and all I get is it's too hot, it's too cold. I don't have the energy. Are they too old? Heck no, they have given in to age... I like to call it a state of mind. BTW, there's an old man in his late seventy's that shoots on team Bowtech that can out shoot 95 % of the young boys here. I'm sure he'll still be popping deer with his bow well into his mid 80's.. My mom is 86 years old and still works because she loves what she does. Getting old doesn't mean you can't. In most cases it just means you can do it better!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Retarded? I don't think so. I know men that after 50 just gave up on doing things. They have boats that just sit there, they have motor cycles they don't ride. I ask them to do things even most are younger than I and all I get is it's too hot, it's too cold. I don't have the energy. Are they too old? Heck no, they have given in to age... I like to call it a state of mind. BTW, there's an old man in his late seventy's that shoots on team Bowtech that can out shoot 95 % of the young boys here. I'm sure he'll still be popping deer with his bow well into his mid 80's.. My mom is 86 years old and still works because she loves what she does. Getting old doesn't mean you can't. In most cases it just means you can do it better!
Retarded was more than a bad choice of words on my part. I understand what you are saying and you can't let age be an excuse. But back sugeries and things like that are real and a part of aging. I do agree with your philosophy.

Edit- Rev, I sent you an apology in a pm.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 08-12-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

im 46 also and once i hit 40 the body needed some help 3 hernias all fixed at the same time, two knee surgerys one was because the doctor didnt completely fix the knee so it was a touch up,one shoulder,damn factory job,eyes need glasses now,this year alone i had appendix out and about two months ago i had fusion surgery just four screws and some titanium.

how does your back feel after the surgery as far as hunting wise and everyday activity.

hope i never give up hunting,or fishing and mushroom hunting, now i guess i am gettting old looking forward to mushroom season
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, I can usually walk around in the woods longer than I can walk on the street. The ground is softer. Sitting in the stands gets hard. I can sit there all day. I usually only last about 3 to 4 hours then I have to walk around. But walking around with a bow where I hunt wont do you any good, so I just go home for a few hours and come back for an evening sit. I am lucky. I have a great friend that lives a 1/2 a mile from me that lets me, and only me hunt his 35 acres. Once and a while he lets his ex step son hunt there. But he keep shooting everything that walks by and its pissing him off. That and the fact he only hears from him when hunting season is coming up. Anyway, here is what my back looks like.

Getting Old Sucks!!-lower-back.jpg

Now I'm waiting on a surgery date for a pump. They are going to put a pump inside me that will kind of be like a morphine drip. Since the line will be going right into my spine, the dosage will be very little but very effective.