Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
can i slightly cracked limb be repaired >

can i slightly cracked limb be repaired

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can i slightly cracked limb be repaired

Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up can i slightly cracked limb be repaired

i have a old champion fire hawk bow it has served me well, for 8 years , the company is not in business anymore , and replacement limbs ,well are a dream ,the upper limb has a slight seperation in the arc of the upper limb, not a total crack , it is a split limb design, has anyone had ant success in a repair ? i was thinking of taking it to a boat shop
Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

No way I would shoot a bow with a cracked limb. I'd say it's time for a new one. Check out some of the deals on archerytalk's classified section. You can usually find some good deals over there.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 AM
bigcountry

Not in the least. Its done for.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

If you are thinking of having it TIG or Heli-arc welded, then the simple answer to that is "No".

Here is why:

Compound bow limbs (even the older ones) are made of alloys. It's not just aluminum. It would be impossible to match the filler rod that you intend to use to the base metal. Plus there are a few other factors. Compound bow limbs are cast in a mold to get their shape. Casting is in general a fairly porus composition, meaning lots of air pockets. Welding on cast changes that, plus it hardens the entire area you are welding. So even if you managed to get the base metal to take the filler rod, it would never flex there after it cooled. So basically you would have a limb that would not evenly bend, and would most likely snap right where you welded when you go to string it back.

I'm not sure what other repair could be done at a boat shop that would help you.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:41 AM
bigcountry

Hate to tell you, I have yet to see any bow in the last 30 years having metal limbs. Most are purely fiberglass. Some on the market now have a laminate of metal. But thats recent.

Even my bears of 1980's and brownings and PSE's of 90's had fiberglass limbs.

Gordon glass in the US does most limbs.

Originally Posted by mcraddock
If you are thinking of having it TIG or Heli-arc welded, then the simple answer to that is "No".

Here is why:

Compound bow limbs (even the older ones) are made of alloys. It's not just aluminum. It would be impossible to match the filler rod that you intend to use to the base metal. Plus there are a few other factors. Compound bow limbs are cast in a mold to get their shape. Casting is in general a fairly porus composition, meaning lots of air pockets. Welding on cast changes that, plus it hardens the entire area you are welding. So even if you managed to get the base metal to take the filler rod, it would never flex there after it cooled. So basically you would have a limb that would not evenly bend, and would most likely snap right where you welded when you go to string it back.

I'm not sure what other repair could be done at a boat shop that would help you.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Hate to tell you, I have yet to see any bow in the last 30 years having metal limbs. .
spit out coffee
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Hate to tell you, I have yet to see any bow in the last 30 years having metal limbs. Most are purely fiberglass. Some on the market now have a laminate of metal. But thats recent.

Even my bears of 1980's and brownings and PSE's of 90's had fiberglass limbs.

Gordon glass in the US does most limbs.
LOL,
Then I guess thats why he would take it to a boat shop! Thanks for setting me straight Bigcountry.

BTW, I had a recurve years ago that the limb broke on me and it looked like aluminum when you looked at the grain. I was pretty sure that they were made out of that until now. Perhaps recurve limbs were??
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Time for a new bow.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Spike

That boat shop that welds bow limbs is right beside the tire shop that has the pop rivet patches for flat tires!! just a little fun there mcraddock..Polaris, do yourself a favor and scarp her. A peice could come off and go into your skin somewhere, most certainly if comes apart while shooting. New bows 350-1200 dollars , new eyeball?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Spike

Sorry, hope my spelling and grammar are better than the rivets in my head!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.