Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you shoot with one eye open? >

Do you shoot with one eye open?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: How do you shoot your vertical bow?
Both eyes open
50.72%
One eye closed
36.23%
Both ways, depending upon the light conditions
13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shoot with one eye open?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

T - don't doubt what you are experiencing at that distance, but both my deer from last year were under 10 yds (tracked less than 50) and I know I had my left eye closed. Don't know how unique my situation is, but I do not have a dominant eye and I am slightly far-sighted in one and slightly near sighted in the other. All I know is it works for me. I will continue to keep both eyes open until that last second though.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ranger77
I refuse to believe that I am incapable or relearning a habit like closing an eye - and because I did it, I KNOW others can.

I am extremely left eye dominant, I am 100% right handed.

I will not change to shoot left handed because my mind/body has learned a lifetime how to coordinate this.

I will not close an eye, doing so would (A) lose field of view and (B) depth perception and (C) would be against everything I do 99.9999999999 % of the rest of the time.
Ranger - do you not see the hyprocrisy between your 1st and 3rd paragraphs?

You say everyone should learn to shoot with both eyes because you were able to, and you think it is the right way to do it.

But then you turn around and say that you refuse to learn to shoot with your dominant eye because you have learned to adapt and it is not necessary. Many people have learned to shoot with their dominant eye and not dominant hand so why shouldn't you learn to do the same? I mean, other people have done it so I KNOW you can do it!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default One Eye shooter

The poll wouldn't apply to me, no matter what. Bad shoulder and dominant eye on the same side. Would have given up most shooting years ago.
No shotgun, no open sights rifle or any archery at all.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot usually with at least one eye open, usually.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
I used to shoot both eyes closed, but that didnt work out so good. Seriously, I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I'd like to shoot both eyes open but I just cant do it. I showed the guys at the range what happens when I use two eyes, not only did I miss the target but I sent an arrow sailing into the woods. I can train my eye to shoot both open, but if I'm not concentrating, its a big miss. I'd hate to have that happen when hunting.
I'm right handed but left eye dominant also, I still shoot with both eyes open though. You will get used to it. The reason i do it with both eyes open is because I cant only close one eye and keep one open, its to blurry for me. So i just keep them both open, mainly just focus on your scope and once you get it into view do what you normally do! Hope that will help.