HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   how good do you need to be??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/327200-how-good-do-you-need.html)

critterkiller88 08-06-2010 05:51 PM

how good do you need to be???

This will be my first year deer hunting. Ive got a martin bonehunter 60# 30" draw, and im a lefty. the bow needs tuned, but for lack of knowledge i can hit groups within a 4 inch circle at 20-30-40 yards. once i get everything lined up and adjusted properly im hoping to get these groups much closer. regaurdless, have yall taken shots that were off a touch and still had a quick kill? i just dont want to go out unprepared or not have trust in my equipment. let me hear what yall think.

Sniggle 08-06-2010 06:14 PM

Practice from a tree stand.
Practice moving your bow on target from either side (like your were following a deer) and then make the shot.
Practice grunting to stop a deer with the bow off the bullseye, then taking 1-2 seconds to bring the bow on target and release.
Get a 'deer target' and practice making a good shot in the vitals avoiding the shoulder blade from various angles.

Wait for a close shot, 10-15 yards....its a lot harder when the deer is in your sights.

Enjoy.

The Rev 08-06-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sniggle (Post 3659332)
Practice from a tree stand.
Practice moving your bow on target from either side (like your were following a deer) and then make the shot.
Practice grunting to stop a deer with the bow off the bullseye, then taking 1-2 seconds to bring the bow on target and release.
Get a 'deer target' and practice making a good shot in the vitals avoiding the shoulder blade from various angles.

Wait for a close shot, 10-15 yards....its a lot harder when the deer is in your sights.

Enjoy.

I agree 100%.. good advice. Wecome to an awesome sport.

H.L.H 08-06-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Rev (Post 3659356)
I agree 100%.. good advice. Wecome to an awesome sport.

Agreed. Be safe and enjoy the outdoors.

critterkiller88 08-06-2010 07:19 PM

thanks alot for the info. im sure in the spurr of the moment whats bound to happen will, but with good practice it should be instinct, not guessing. appreciate it!

blakefrautschi 08-06-2010 09:29 PM

sounds like your off to a good start! if you can talk/shoot/hunt with some one that is a "veteran" hunter that would help alot. other than that i would also tell you to shoot a few with the broadheads you will be using to make sure they hit where your normal points hit.

but like said before.. practice and patience are key.

obsessed bowhunter 08-06-2010 11:06 PM

30" seems to be a long draw length these days. Sometimes it don't matter if you can hit a dime at 40 yards, if you can't keep your composure when the moment comes....lol. Trust me I know from experience, took me forever to kill a deer. Now it is instinct but still miss occasionally. Good luck.

sits in trees 08-06-2010 11:11 PM

get out and enjoy bowhunting, you will more than likely have a bad moment or two, dont beat yourself up....have fun.

V8Ranger 08-07-2010 01:18 AM

If you can keep a 4 in pattern at those yardages, IMO, your doing good. Like Blake said, shout the broad heads you will be hunting with. They always seam to fly just a little different than a field point because they are longer, which will add more front weight to the arrow. Make sure you are using the same grain broad head as your field point. Most of the time you should hit the same spot, but sometimes you have to shot just a hair higher with your broad head than you would with your field point, not always, but sometimes. Thats why you need to practice with them also to make sure they are hitting the same place as field point. Buck fever is a wonderful thing, but can make you shoot shots that you should be waiting on. And like Sniggle said, practice from your stand also.. Then practice, practice, practice..... I'm a lefty also

ahunter55 08-07-2010 09:08 AM

4" is good at those yardages. I've seen Bowhunters a lot worse & been hitting the woods a long time. Not good but then, some think they never need to practice. Good Luck & enjoy.