Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how good do you need to be??? >

how good do you need to be???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how good do you need to be???

Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

4 inch groups at 30-40 yards is purty good and for a beginner its awsome..i would hope to hit 4 inch groups at 40,,even for a trained shooter its good,,,whack em and stack em guy
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sniggle
Practice from a tree stand.
Practice moving your bow on target from either side (like your were following a deer) and then make the shot.
Practice grunting to stop a deer with the bow off the bullseye, then taking 1-2 seconds to bring the bow on target and release.
Get a 'deer target' and practice making a good shot in the vitals avoiding the shoulder blade from various angles.

Wait for a close shot, 10-15 yards....its a lot harder when the deer is in your sights.

Enjoy.
This 100%

If you practice these things enough it will become more or less a thoughtless instinct to make the shot when hunting. I can't remember the last time I had to 'think' when making a shot on a deer. It just all comes together and happens when you have practiced enough.

As far as groups, this is what I hold myself to on the range here at the house.

10 yards = 1" group
20 yards = 2" group
30 yards = 3" group
40 yards = 4" group

Do I hit these everyday? Heck no!! But it is what I strive for through practice before opening day.

I will tell you this, confidence goes along ways. If you are just having one of those days where your groups are open and you just plain suck, spend a few minutes concentrating on your form and if it still doesn't come together then hang your bow up for that day. I will not spend so much time trying to figure out why I am off on a certain day that I end up ruining my confidence for the days to come. Hope that kind of makes sense. Everyone is different, but I had some of the same questions you are asking when I started 10 years ago.

Make sure you practice with your broadheads. I can almost guarantee they will fly different than your field points.

I also practice holding my bow at full draw and on a target for various times. I will have my son time me up 45 seconds at full draw concentrating holding on the vitals of my deer target, then take the shot.

Last edited by MO Archer; 08-07-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Spike

i appreciate it yall, i really need to practice out of a stand i think, gonna be a lot different shooting elevated and in a little stand. does the elevation really throw off your yardage judgement that bad? ive got a buddy whos an awesome shot, but has been out 4 years with his bow and never got one. he says he always shoots high, no matter the distance. i told him it took him 4 years to decide to aim low? haha
Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

funny to me, a lot of the people who say you have to have this and this kind of accuracy are the very ones who think KE matters (it doesn't) and shoot light arrows and poor penetrating broadheads

you can be a world class shooter and choke, you can pick up a bow today and kill a B&C tomorrow

shoot the best you shoot and go hunting, you're only rsponsible for your own shot selection and ethics
Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ranger77
funny to me, a lot of the people who say you have to have this and this kind of accuracy are the very ones who think KE matters (it doesn't) and shoot light arrows and poor penetrating broadheads
KE matters more than you think speed doesn't matter as much (but I think thats what you meant heavier arrows = more KE= more penetration)

but back to topic pratice pratice pratice It needs to be instinctive because you can't think when a buck comes in
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

Try shooting at the smallest thing you can see at 50 yards for a couple days, then come to 20 and 30 yards. Always pick a spot to shoot at, even on an animal. Good luck
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Like others said, practice from a tree stand or at least an elavated stand of some sort. The most common mistake is to practice all off season from the ground looking straight at the target. Then when taking the shot from a tree stand the shooter forgets to bend at the waist keeping good form. You wouldn't think it would change much, but it does. I simply can't stress practicing from a elavated position enough. Good luck
Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The size of the vital area on a deer allows you to "miss" by a few inches and still make a killing shot. I aim for the crease just behind the front shoulder/leg, about 1/3 up from the belly line.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

All sound advice - so I'll only tack on my "favorites"

1. Practice until you become confident - very confident - that you'll hit what you are aiming at.

2. Don't be afraid to NOT TAKE A SHOT - seriously, there is no shame in passing on a shot simply because it "didn't feel right". Better that than gut shooting a deer or placing an arrow in a haunch.