HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Two Blade Broadheads - Blood trail loss?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/32715-two-blade-broadheads-blood-trail-loss.html)

DTSADF 07-04-2003 10:35 PM

Two Blade Broadheads - Blood trail loss??

I am considering using a Steelforce two blade broadhead this year without bleeder inserts for elk and/or deer. In the past, I always used a three blade broadhead like Muzzy, Wasp, or Thunderhead.

Steelforce indicates that the bleeder inserts provide a little better blood trail. However, most of the guys I talk to do not use the bleeder inserts. They either think they get better penetration and/or flight pattern without them.

1. Should I use the bleeders? Why or why not?

2. How much blood trail, if any, will I lose by going to two blades as compared to three or four?

3. What kind of exit wound channels have you gotten from two bladed Steelforce heads?

Droptines 07-05-2003 03:47 AM

RE: Two Blade Broadheads - Blood trail loss??

I have always believed that a narrow 2 blade head leaves very little room for error.When you hit an animal threw the lungs,it should' nt matter,but will it ?.I think you can get different " resulting" kills.Smaller head,slower bleed,,maybe a longer recovery distance.I took a doe last year with a single lung hit.She went about 80 yards and laid down.NOT knowing I only hit 1 lung, I started trailing her a bit too soon.
After I jumped her she made it about another 80 or 90 yards,before lying down for the last time.I do believe a 2 blade would have killed her as well as my T-Head,,but at slower bleed out,,,ESPECIALLY ON MY MARGINAL HIT,,which DOES happen from time to time, even to the best of them [:-]
Fred Bear once said," shooting a animal with a 4 blade head is like shooting with TWO arrows" .I' m sure he uttered these words right around the time HIS company put out their new broad head.

5 shot 07-05-2003 05:31 AM

Blood trails and how long an animal goes after the hit is more the result of shot placement. I have limited experience with two blade heads, but from the 3 deer I have shot with them I found the blood trails to be a little less than those of a typical 3 blade head. They were still good though. Recovery time was a little longer as well, and the animals seem to have made it a little farther. They were all just as dead though. Overall though quality two blade heads are excellent, penetration is improved and you need to keep in mind they have been killing deer a lot longer than we have been around! When you wiegh the pro' s and con' s I think in the field the differnce is small, try them out and see. If you do your part they will do theirs.

DTSADF 07-05-2003 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info. I did some more flight testing on a foam target this morning out to 40 yards. I shot the Steelforce Titanium with and without bleeder inserts. I also shot the G5 Montec (3 blade cutting tip).

All three are great broadheads and fly very well. The Steelforce two blade groups closest to my field points. Grouping near the field point is convenient, but I don' t think it is that big of a deal since I can just reset my sights for broadheads. The Steelforce with bleeders and the Montec have a very similar flight pattern and almost identical point of impact.

On the foam, which is obviously not an animal, it seemed like
the two blade had the best penetration on most shots. The four blade always had the least penetration. Sometimes the Montec had better penetration than the two blade. In every instance, the penetration is close enough between all the heads that it probably isn' t an issue.

At this point, I am leaning toward the Montec. It just seems like a nice balance and is a very tough head.

5 shot ----- I really appreciate your broadheadtests web site and would love to see a test on the Steelforce Titanium version. Thanks.

subsonic 07-06-2003 06:27 AM

I have used the Steelforce on hogs and am pleased with the results. I like the fact that they are cut on contact and scary sharp. They also group with my field points without any adjustments. I am going to give the Montec a try as well. A few of the local guys use them and are very pleased with the results.

DTSADF 07-06-2003 10:02 AM

Subsonic --- Did you use Steelforce with or without bleeder inserts?

If you used without bleeders, how was the exit wound channel?

Are you going to try Montec just out of curiosity?

subsonic 07-06-2003 06:34 PM

I used the 100gr. Sabertooth without bleeder blades. It blew through a sow that weighed 285 lbs. wih no problem. The arrow passed through both lungs and she went about 30 yards before giving up the ghost. I really like his head a lot and it is my go to broadhead. I am going to see if they fly as well as my Steelforce. If they fly as well an extra blade cannot hurt.

MBuckH72 07-06-2003 10:53 PM

I' ve always used thunderheads bow hunting, and they work for me. Since they have always worked for me, that' s all I will use. They leave an excellent blood trail, and on a good shot, the animal doesn' t go far.

Droptines 07-07-2003 03:33 AM

I have taken alot of deer with T-Heads.Very good head.NEVER had one break apart,even on some heavy bone.They have some,if not THE sharpest blades I have ever cut my self with [:o]