HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How noisy are climbing tree stands? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/327108-how-noisy-climbing-tree-stands.html)

WisconsinBowHunter 08-05-2010 10:01 AM

How noisy are climbing tree stands?

I want to buy my own treestand becuase our homemade ones are, well unreliable. So i decided i would like something along the lines of a tree stand. I only have two concerns with them.

#1 how noisy are they to get up and climb up the tree and such?

#2 how long does it take to climb up and down from it?

Here is one I am looking at, i have a price range up to $135

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...292572.2292573

Thanks.

richwrench 08-05-2010 10:15 AM

My Lone Wolf makes absolutly ZERO noise when climbing. More than once I've climbed a tree and during the asent I've seen deer & hogs walking a short distance away - they never knew I was there. Only bad thing about LW is the price $$$. How long it takes to climb depends on your conditioning & how organized you are. Last year I was out of shape & new to climbing, so it took me 20 minutes to get up & in position. This last weekend it only took half that long. Mine is a hand climber so you have to have SOME fitness anyway, & if you have all your stuff organized & are familiar with it, setup time is pretty quick. With enough practice you should be able to setup & climb in total darkness with no flashlight.

Kybuckhunter 08-05-2010 10:30 AM

I've had several top brands of climber and I hated every one of them. I have a Lone Wolf now. I hate it also. I just hate climbers period. Yes they are good to have and you can be more mobile. There is some noise getting them unpacked and placed on the tree and there is some noise climbing and you may have to saw limbs at times. I also hate getting hot packing it in and then climbing with it. I don't like setting it up in the dark or packing it up in the dark. I like to slip in and out as quietly as I can and climber make it hard to do.

With all that said they have good points and bad points and you just have to decide if they are right for you. They are inconvenient to me but they do give you the mobility factory that can help you hunt in a new area. If you can hunt from a fixed stand I would but if you need to move around more or hunt public then the climbers will pay off for you.

wallhangr 08-05-2010 10:36 AM

One thing with that one you'll have to watch out for is the seat rubbing the tree and yourself as well.

After using a climber a few times and getting better at judging the diameter of the tree, you'll be able to climb up quietly in 10-15 min.

bigcountry 08-05-2010 10:46 AM

Most of the time, you make noise getting iton the tree and off your back. I use climbers 80% of the time. It really gives me advantage in the lease I am on with the other guys who are scared to climb.

I usually can hear somone actively climbing 50 yards away. I hear folks whining and cryin all the time about using a climber, and really don't know what the big deal is. We hike sometimes a mile or more in and use em.

WisconsinBowHunter 08-05-2010 11:21 AM

Okay well im 15 and am in shape, so hopefully that wont be a problem.

nchawkeye 08-05-2010 11:41 AM

They are quiet enough that I've had deer come by while I was going up the tree with them...Being familiar with the stand and having a good headlight so you can setup quietly is the secret...

The problem with that one you are looking at is it's 31 pounds, that's too heavy...That's also why it's so cheap, wait until you can afford a good stand instead of buying twice...

I've got 2 API Grand Slam Suprem Magnums and they only weight 21-22 pounds...I'm betting that stand is made of steel, not aluminum...

It takes me about 15 minutes to go up, with safety harness on and get setup, unless I have to cut a few limbs on the way up...I'm on the ground in less than 10...

bigcountry 08-05-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3658605)
They are quiet enough that I've had deer come by while I was going up the tree with them...Being familiar with the stand and having a good headlight so you can setup quietly is the secret...

The problem with that one you are looking at is it's 31 pounds, that's too heavy...That's also why it's so cheap, wait until you can afford a good stand instead of buying twice...

I've got 2 API Grand Slam Suprem Magnums and they only weight 21-22 pounds...I'm betting that stand is made of steel, not aluminum...

It takes me about 15 minutes to go up, with safety harness on and get setup, unless I have to cut a few limbs on the way up...I'm on the ground in less than 10...

Have to agree with this. I first had a warrensweet piece of garbage.

I see on craigslist all the time summit vipers, and API welded climbers for 100 or less. I myself love the vipers best.

Howler 08-05-2010 11:55 AM

AS has been stated, with some practice, you can get a climber off your back, attached to a tree, and climb pretty quietly. I've also had deer come by as I was climbing, and not even notice me, as well as having them come by very shortly after I got situated. Coming down is just as easy and quick. I've got an old Summit viper that still works good.
As far as cutting tree limbs, I use the same trees on our farm from season to season, and usually the tree limbs don't grow quick enough that they need cut more than the first time I climb a particular tree.

WisconsinBowHunter 08-05-2010 11:56 AM

I workout for football enough that i want it to be heavy so i get stronger, haha. But i am planing to set it up in one spot and leave it there and climb it. But i want to be able to move it.