Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How noisy are climbing tree stands? >

How noisy are climbing tree stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How noisy are climbing tree stands?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

The noise isn't always bad. Over the years I have had many bucks show up just after I climbed up or down, and a few times during a climb. Maybe they think a buck is thrashing a tree - ?? Someone needs to make a heavy duty deer-rub call, lol. I've tried "rubbing" with my rattling antlers, and it just doesn't carry the sound volume.

-fsh

Last edited by fshafly2; 08-05-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WisconsinBowHunter
I workout for football enough that i want it to be heavy so i get stronger, haha. But i am planing to set it up in one spot and leave it there and climb it. But i want to be able to move it.
If you want to leave it in one spot I would go the hang on route. There is no need in climbing up and down the same tree every time when you can have steps and stand already in place. You can still move it when you want. Also a stand that heavy will make you sweat alot. This may be good for football but not deer hunting.

The least amount of intervention the better. If you hunt the same place every time and make the extra noise of going up and down you will have more deer pattern you and will see fewer deer. The advantage of a climber would be being mobile and moving around so the deer will not pattern you and changing as the deer do. By hunting the same spot with a climber I believe you will do more harm than good.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fshafly2
The noise isn't always bad. Over the years I have had many bucks show up just after I climbed up or down, and a few times during a climb. Maybe they think a buck is thrashing a tree - ?? Someone needs to make a heavy duty deer-rub call, lol. I've tried "rubbing" with my rattling antlers, and it just doesn't carry the sound volume.

-fsh
I was getting ready to say the same thing. Last season i was climbing and got about half way up and a big buck came running in grunting right under my tree. I could see what he was cause it was dark but he was large. Then i was almost at the top and another big buck came through grunting. I was always kinda worried about climber noise but after that morning im not so worried anymore.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

i mean like a over night thing, when i bow hunt its usually a sat/sun thing. so i would like to move it.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

gonna have to look into that one becuase its lighter than my dad's ameristep grizzly and tyhe price looks good too
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Climbers will make some noise climbing, but I have had deer come by within 30 minutes of settling down into the stand.

For climbing pre-dawn, a headlamp is a must.

I would highly advise you to get a ratchet strap. I always lock in the top of my climbing stand with a ratchet strap, even if the bark seems to grab well. When you are positioning yourself for a shot is not the time you want the top of you climbing stand to shift.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

If you only have a budget of 135 bucks your going to be hard pressed to find a good quality one at that price. I use the new Summit Viper's and there almost 300. But the are worth every penny.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

I raised my price range for a treestand so it wasnt so heavy and i came up with this one, It is 21 pounds and seems to be good, whats you opinion, i am having a hard time chosing between the upgraded version here are the two.

$229 "Extreme"

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...292572.2292573

$199 Standered

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=4286154
Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Climber Stands

I raised my price range for a treestand so it wasnt so heavy and i came up with this one, It is 21 pounds and seems to be good, whats you opinion, i am having a hard time chosing between the upgraded version here are the two.

$229 "Extreme"

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...292572.2292573

$199 Standered

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=4286154

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 AM
bigcountry

I sure wouldn't buy brand new.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/1834692574.html

They are everywhere under 150 dollars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.