Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
how to teach a 6 year old >

how to teach a 6 year old

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to teach a 6 year old

Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Spike

Default how to teach a 6 year old

My sister is getting my 6 year old nephew into shooting bow and his form is off a little bit. I have never tought someone to shoot before.

How can i teach him the right way. I have told my sister that he needs a release. it is a must. The way he is holding the bow i think it by be set to hight. I havent seen him shoot yet. She just got the bow 2 days ago. Thanks Schooter
Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Fork Horn

I myself have never taught someone but I would have to disagree with needing a release. Hes 6 yrs old with his first bow. Id let him have fun with it for a little while and show him the basics. IF you try and push him to be a precision archer at 6 hes not gonna want to do it IMO.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

that draw length is much to long for him, if you can shorten it do so!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the bow set up for him and just let him shoot until he decides that he wants to take it seriously. The thing that I've found with some kids is the more you try to teach them the more they fight it.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
bigcountry

I would like to know for sure. But I made a bow for my 2.5 year old son. Just to carry around and fling in the ground and air. But I was stopped by a target coach, and who came down on my like a ton of bricks.

He said don't let my son do any serious shooting until after 8 years old. He said there was cases of kids with back issues like scoliosis. Now, in reality, I think he is referring to taking a 5 year old and daily shooting and coaching hundreds of arrows.
Not me taking my son out and letting him flick and arrow in the air.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Grandson is 5 and I got him started. I started by letting him shoot all he wanted the way he wanted with just some basic instruction on how to draw and release. He stood about five feet from the target. Once he got that down, I showed him how to anchor and aim. He is still way to small for even a youth compound and does not have the strength to be able to draw a bow with enough energy to 'stick' into the target. I just let him have fun for now.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

i got my little brother shooting one of those little pully bows you get at walmart for 20 bucks and he shoots with me whenever i do. at first he would stand about 5 feet from the target but then he wanted to start hitting the bullseye. so i started helping him draw and showed him how to aim with out a sight. then i put a little metal nock on the string (like a kisser button basically) to get him to anchor and after some practice, and realizing that he would do better if he didnt pull the bow all the way back he would shoot better. now hes shooting paper plate groups at 10 yrds which i think is great for a 5 year old.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys,,,,,,hes only 6 if he wants to shoot with bad form let him,,,man he isnt in the olimpics,,,he doesnt need correction he needs nurishing...if he enjoys it let him shoot for a year or two,,if he doesnt loose intrest then help him with form and better equiptment...good lord its better than chaseing anouther bow hunter away...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I would like to know for sure. But I made a bow for my 2.5 year old son. Just to carry around and fling in the ground and air. But I was stopped by a target coach, and who came down on my like a ton of bricks.

He said don't let my son do any serious shooting until after 8 years old. He said there was cases of kids with back issues like scoliosis. Now, in reality, I think he is referring to taking a 5 year old and daily shooting and coaching hundreds of arrows.
Not me taking my son out and letting him flick and arrow in the air.
I agree 100 %.. I made my grandson a bow when he was 3 and let him have fun with it. Now he's seven and made him another one and he's doing great with it. He smoking hot at 10 yards.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Get him a recurve... like a 12# Samick or PSE....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.