Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hanging a tree stand safely >

Hanging a tree stand safely

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging a tree stand safely

Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hanging a tree stand safely

Hello,

I've always hunted out of ladder stands but really want to get some strap-on style stands since they're so cheap and less intrusive than the ladder stands. Anyhow...I'm trying to think of how to safely get that in the tree...I have a harness and will be using tree steps but how do you climb a tree and sit there pulling up the stand without falling out?? Stupid question I know but I just can't wrap my head around the whole process.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

If your harness is set up for it, there will be two loops, one on each hip. Put a carabeier on each loop and use a linemans belt or a climbing rope that has a loop tied on one end and a sliding prusik knot to wrap around the tree and hook to the carabiners. This will hold you securely hold you to the tree, hands free. Here are some pics that might help.

On the left is what the rope set up would look like in use.
The middle left is a carabiner(just so ya know or in case ya called it something else)
The middle right is what a sliding prusik knot will look like. That should be on a rope that has a very tightly tied loop on one end, and a knot on the other to keep from slipping off.
And the right is a linemans belt set up in us, you can get an idea of how you will be hanging off the tree .

Heres a link where you can but all of the above or just take a better look at them. Good luck and be safe.
http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/st...cessories.html
Attached Thumbnails Hanging a tree stand safely-linemans-belt.jpg   Hanging a tree stand safely-carabiner.jpg   Hanging a tree stand safely-prusik-knot.jpg   Hanging a tree stand safely-thumbnail_67__linemans-belt-use.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Spike

Here is a process I've used for years. Two conditions are required for this: 1. the tree needs to be one you can climb with a climber 2. You need to carry your climber out there in addition to the lock on (best done with a buddy to help).

Climb to the desired height in the climber, then haul up the lock on and install it then screw in the steps on your way down. A little extra work with the extra stand but you have a very stable platform to use and screwing in the steps are much easier than hanging from a rope.

One tip here is to use a piece of rope with a loop on one end cut to the right length between your steps and hang it on the previous step to set the spot for the next step and so on down the tree ensuring the steps are the right distance apart.

Also, I use screw in steps with removable steps for the last 3 or 4 steps and take them with me making it more difficult for someone to climb up and hunt it or steal the stand.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Second the linesman belt.
And I use a pull rope to lift the stand and have a hook on a strap around the tree to hold the stand while I strap it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my Lineman's belt when hanging stands. It allows you to use two hands to get the stand set, as well as being the safest way to do it. I'm a big guy (6'10" 340 lbs) so i'm not going to be up there dancing around on limbs and trapeezing around getting stands hung, and the lineman's belt works very well for me. I use Big Game QuickStiks in the 20' model for all my stands. I really like the angle on the steps, just feels safer to me than steps that go straight out. I'm DONE using screw ins or bolts. Three years ago, I broke one and lacerated my liver getting hooked in the gut by the one below it. Not a good deal at all. So, all quicksticks for me. I hang my ladder with the lineman's belt, fastening the straps as I go up. My height allows me to reach way up, so I can usually fasten one of the ladder straps long before I need to put any weight on the unstrapped sections. I use a rope to raise the stand up, and just get the stand at least strapped to the tree loosely before worrying about position or anything. It'll take a little practice, and I would practice in the yard about 1 foot off the ground the first time, just to get the footwork/handwork down a little bit.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

is a lineman's belt something you make or buy? If you make one, what do you use?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

You can make the rope setup. Use mountain climbing rope. Make sure that you use smaller diameter rope for the sliding prusik knot than you use for your main rope. If it's bigger or the same size it will not "bite", meaning that it will continue to slide and not grip. I'll post some pics later so you can get a better look
Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

heres a better idea,,,,use your ladder stand to put up your hang on,,,,sounds silly but its safer than anything ive herd so far...lol
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

BUY a lineman's belt. HSS sels one, works perfect every time.

As for using another stand to hang a stand...seems a little redundant, and way more work than necessary.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by YooperMike
BUY a lineman's belt. HSS sels one, works perfect every time.

As for using another stand to hang a stand...seems a little redundant, and way more work than necessary.

i agree, buying one is the best bet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.