Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand? >

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

I'm fairly new to bow hunting and am looking for some advice on this topic. I know there are many thoughts and theories out there so I'd like to hear some. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM
bigcountry

Shot placement: critical

No matter which one you use. Saying that, I won't ever go back to mechanicals. I am not proud of the shot, but I have made quartering to me shots thru the shoulder with fixed heads, thunderhead, and deer did drop within 40 yards. I know I couldn't have acheived that same performance with a spitfire or rage. Sure, I shouldn't have taken the shot and it could have ended with me whining I lost a deer. But crap happens.

Get your bow shooting fixed well, and you won't be sorry. Lots of good heads out there, from grizztricks, to muzzy phantoms. Tough heads too at that.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Spike

Like said earlier, shot placement is much more important than broadhead choice. Personally, I like rage 2 blades, but that's just what shoots in my setup. If fixed bades work in yours, shoot them.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Shot placement: critical

No matter which one you use. Saying that, I won't ever go back to mechanicals. I am not proud of the shot, but I have made quartering to me shots thru the shoulder with fixed heads, thunderhead, and deer did drop within 40 yards. I know I couldn't have acheived that same performance with a spitfire or rage. Sure, I shouldn't have taken the shot and it could have ended with me whining I lost a deer. But crap happens.

Get your bow shooting fixed well, and you won't be sorry. Lots of good heads out there, from grizztricks, to muzzy phantoms. Tough heads too at that.
And you point the finger to crossbow hunters as unethical....go figure.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing beats shot placement!! I like fixed heads over mechs. I have had great luck with Thunderheads and Muzzy ( it's hard to beat these 2 for the price). I am trying SlickTricks this year. Put it where it counts and any head you choose will do.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

For sure shot placement is key, but lets be honest not always does the arrow end up where we want it Especially for many of the beginners in the bow world. Reading some good things about the NAP BLOODRUNNER. Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
For sure shot placement is key, but lets be honest not always does the arrow end up where we want it Especially for many of the beginners in the bow world. Reading some good things about the NAP BLOODRUNNER. Any thoughts?
The Bloodrunner has also caught my eye. It cuts no matter what. If it doesn't open it still has a 1'' cut diameter. I think if you are looking at mechanicals then the Bloodrunner would be a great choice.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
And you point the finger to crossbow hunters as unethical....go figure.
Do you have a dictionary? Go to it, and look up unethical. Come back and post. Are you back to saying your perfect? I enjoy this, because it shows what kinda person you are.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
Overpriced, nothing special about them. Think about this. With a grizztrick, you will have over 2.5" of cutting area. I am amazed how easily, magus, 2 blade, and phantoms slice thru an animal.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The blood runner looks a little bulky to me but it may be a great head. I like the short profile cut on contact heads such as the wac ems above (which I am currently using). Montec version and I believe carbon express, slick trick and others make some similar to this. They fly perfect and cut great.

Last edited by Wheatley; 08-03-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.