Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand? >

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LittleChief
No, not Rockets. I shoot Grim Reapers. When I first started shooting them I wanted to see how tough they really were. I only did the plywood test, but I shot two through some leftover 3/4" oak veneered cabinet grade plywood. They both made it through with all of their blades. They were ruined as far as their movement, but they would have killed the deer on the other side of a shoulder for sure. They are one tough head. They haven't failed me yet and provided they are assembled correctly there's no way for them to fail. I do have to admit, though... I've yet to hit a shoulder to put it to the real test and I don't intend to do so intentionally.
I don't know chief. I would almost take you up on that bet. There is something about a live animal that is so hard to reproduce with even real bones and hide. On one hand, I have seen the tests with cowbone shoulders and hide placed over, but on the other, I have seen BH's in action on real animals and shocked that some shots didn't work out as planned.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I don't know chief. I would almost take you up on that bet. There is something about a live animal that is so hard to reproduce with even real bones and hide. On one hand, I have seen the tests with cowbone shoulders and hide placed over, but on the other, I have seen BH's in action on real animals and shocked that some shots didn't work out as planned.
Well, it'd be a tough bet to call since there's no way I would ever take an intentional shot at a shoulder, and I don't plan on letting it happen by accident either. Still, you could be right. I just know that as far as true mechs go the Reapers are as tough as they come. It seems strange to me that I don't see more about them. Ah well, it doesn't matter. Aim small, miss small and everything will work out fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LittleChief
Well, it'd be a tough bet to call since there's no way I would ever take an intentional shot at a shoulder, and I don't plan on letting it happen by accident either. Still, you could be right. I just know that as far as true mechs go the Reapers are as tough as they come. It seems strange to me that I don't see more about them. Ah well, it doesn't matter. Aim small, miss small and everything will work out fine.
Last year, I wanted to do some testing, but it seemed rather disrepectful and almost strange. I shot a doe with my longbow. And before leaving the woods, I was going to set her up side a tree and fling an arrow at her shoulder and see what would happen. I never did, but would be curious.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, I wanted to do some testing, but it seemed rather disrepectful and almost strange. I shot a doe with my longbow. And before leaving the woods, I was going to set her up side a tree and fling an arrow at her shoulder and see what would happen. I never did, but would be curious.
I remember that Mark. If I remember correctly almost everyone agreed that it wouldn't be disrespectful. I don't see what it'd hurt. The deer's already dead and you're still going to process it. You'd be the only one who stood to lose anything and that'd be if the shoulder trashed your broadhead.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shot placement of course is critical but IMO Slick Tricks are the best head on the market all things considered.

Luckily today the quality is better than it ever has been.

Dan
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

You think so? I shot spitfires for years in the 90's and aweful performance.

What do you use? Let me guess. Rockets? I know rage won't.

And you kow this how?

It's kind of tough to compare and old, over the top, mechanical to a rear opening mechanical.

And by the way, no 2 shoulder area shots, imcluding quartering to, are the same. A lot depends on what the deer is doing at time of impact and what you all hit going through. One time might be a passthrough and the next might be 4" of penetration. Quartering to is certainly not a shot I would advis to take.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 2 blade, COI head will give you the absolute BEST penetration qualities without a doubt - and that is proven fact
True, but I would only recommend a two blade COC broadhead in situations where penetration might be a problem due to a very low powered bow or perhaps on huge game animals where penetration was by far the main issue. Why? Because despite the excellent penetration aspect of two blade heads it has been my experience that they just do not yield that great of a blood trail. All 50lb and up compound bows being sold out there now will easily blow a 3 blade fixed head through deer sized animals. So I see no need to use a two blade head that is better suited to traditional bows or youth bows.

I do have to admit, though... I've yet to hit a shoulder to put it to the real test and I don't intend to do so intentionally.
Well hitting the shoulder on a deer is a dicey thing with any head. I won't claim that it would always go this well for me on such a shot but I put a Grim Reaper through a 230lb bucks shoulder in Illinois last year. My fault on the shot. Deer was moving and I couldn't get him to stop. Aimed a little foward to compensate and hit him exactly where I aimed. Grim Reaper blew through that shoulder and buried dead center in the bone of the offside shoulder. Buck snapped my arrow in two, ran 70 yards and died. Had to use a hammer, pliers and a chisel to get it out of the bone of the far side shoulder when we skinned the buck. Given what was hit and the size of the buck, I'm pretty sold on Grim Reapers now.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Well hitting the shoulder on a deer is a dicey thing with any head. I won't claim that it would always go this well for me on such a shot but I put a Grim Reaper through a 230lb bucks shoulder in Illinois last year. My fault on the shot. Deer was moving and I couldn't get him to stop. Aimed a little foward to compensate and hit him exactly where I aimed. Grim Reaper blew through that shoulder and buried dead center in the bone of the offside shoulder. Buck snapped my arrow in two, ran 70 yards and died. Had to use a hammer, pliers and a chisel to get it out of the bone of the far side shoulder when we skinned the buck. Given what was hit and the size of the buck, I'm pretty sold on Grim Reapers now.
As I said, Grim Reapers are as tough as they come. I've been sold on them since I started using them three years ago.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by annika3
And you kow this how?

It's kind of tough to compare and old, over the top, mechanical to a rear opening mechanical.
You go right ahead and keep believing that my friend.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
And you kow this how?

And by the way, no 2 shoulder area shots, imcluding quartering to, are the same. A lot depends on what the deer is doing at time of impact and what you all hit going through. One time might be a passthrough and the next might be 4" of penetration. Quartering to is certainly not a shot I would advis to take.
Have you been around seeing the penetration or lack of the last several years? Story after story of no pass thrus on boilerroom shots even. I have yet to not have a pass thru on probably dozens of deer with lung shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.