Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand? >

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Overpriced, nothing special about them. Think about this. With a grizztrick, you will have over 2.5" of cutting area. I am amazed how easily, magus, 2 blade, and phantoms slice thru an animal.
Can you point me in the right direction. I can't seem to find any grizz broadheads with a cutting area of 2.5". Thank you
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
Can you point me in the right direction. I can't seem to find any grizz broadheads with a cutting area of 2.5". Thank you
SlickTrick GrizzTricks. MeanV archery has them. They are a 4 blade with a 1.25'' cutting diameter.

Last edited by luke/r; 08-03-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 2 blade, COI head will give you the absolute BEST penetration qualities without a doubt - and that is proven fact

read Dr Ashby studies on broadheads and arrows etc - its enlightening
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
What I am saying is, if you have 1 1/8" cutting diameter, you will have 2X that with a 4 blade head. Where with a 2 blade head, and 2" cuttin width, you only have 2" of cutting area. Just look up grizztrick

Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot placement: critical

No matter which one you use. Saying that, I won't ever go back to mechanicals. I am not proud of the shot, but I have made quartering to me shots thru the shoulder with fixed heads, thunderhead, and deer did drop within 40 yards. I know I couldn't have acheived that same performance with a spitfire or rage.
I'd bet you a paycheck my mech could handle that shot on my setup. Still, you're absolutely right - shot placement is critical no matter what.

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
And you point the finger to crossbow hunters as unethical....go figure.
Please don't bring that garbage into this thread.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LittleChief
I'd bet you a paycheck my mech could handle that shot on my setup. Still, you're absolutely right - shot placement is critical no matter what.

You think so? I shot spitfires for years in the 90's and aweful performance.

What do you use? Let me guess. Rockets? I know rage won't.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I like muzzy mx-3's. I think they should start a whole section for this topic, gets brought up multiple times a week it seems.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by luke/r
The Bloodrunner has also caught my eye. It cuts no matter what. If it doesn't open it still has a 1'' cut diameter. I think if you are looking at mechanicals then the Bloodrunner would be a great choice.
Blood runner caught my eye as well. I bought some the other day, gonna give them a try. Really, they cant fail. go in 1 1/8" come out 2 1/16"
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You think so? I shot spitfires for years in the 90's and aweful performance.

What do you use? Let me guess. Rockets? I know rage won't.
No, not Rockets. I shoot Grim Reapers. When I first started shooting them I wanted to see how tough they really were. I only did the plywood test, but I shot two through some leftover 3/4" oak veneered cabinet grade plywood. They both made it through with all of their blades. They were ruined as far as their movement, but they would have killed the deer on the other side of a shoulder for sure. They are one tough head. They haven't failed me yet and provided they are assembled correctly there's no way for them to fail. I do have to admit, though... I've yet to hit a shoulder to put it to the real test and I don't intend to do so intentionally.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by shoot2thrill25
I like muzzy mx-3's. I think they should start a whole section for this topic, gets brought up multiple times a week it seems.
Good point, but it's still fun to participate in a new one once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.