Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips. >

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

tip.. Never get in your mind that it's as easy as the hunting videos make it out to be. When your hunting on your own its a challenge. Very different and there is a lot of homework and patience that goes into it. Drury's video's are great to watch, but never get it in your mind that it is all fun and games. Hunting is hard work and a stategy based sport. It takes a lot to put everything together and everyone should know that luck can be part of a hunt, but when things come together when you make them come together its the best feeling in the entire world. Keep hard at work and never get lazy because of something you assume will happen. Stay sharp and use every bit of your hunting knowledge. Hunters often fall into the "ride it out" trap.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

As stated before if you have a good shot at a deer don't wait for the "Perfect" shot. I too have been burned by this many of times. I would tell my self just one more step and it will be perfect and then more times than not something goes wrong at least for me anyway. If the deer gives me a good shot at under 25 yrds I don't wait even if I think it will come closer. Now don't misunderstand and take a bad shot though.

My comfort zone as far as shooting form a treestand is 35yrd in the woods and the deer has to give the "Perfect" shot at that distance. Sure I could shot out to 50yrds in the back yard and hit the vitals every time but there are no little sticks I can't see and my nerves are calm not like they are when I am shooting a deer exspecially when I first stated bowhunting. Hey, I still get excited to this day and that is why I keep going when I loss that I will quit.

Also do your best to keep as calm as possible when have a deer in range and are going to take the shot. I missed many a deer just becuase I rushed the shot when I was ready to shoot because of my nerves.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My tip is stop wearing that "lucky" hat that you've had for 10 years. I see guys all the time that put on the same ol' stinky sweat filled hat when they hunt. Even if you put a squirt or two of scent killer spray you will not kill the stink. I don't wear a hat at all unless I have to. If I know I will be looking into the setting or rising sun I may wear one other wise leave it at home. If you want to wear one for warmth then do like Chuck Adams and wear a sock cap that can be washed in the washer. I even have a few sock caps with a small bill on them. I think many feel they have to have a cap on to hunt.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Buck grunts have always worked in my favor. I may very well use them too much but I have had great success with my True Talker and Rubberneck. Not so much luck with The Can.... usually smaller bucks come in to it. Also, cover, cover, cover.... I like alot of cover in front of me and behind me, it enables me to move when I need to.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. When I walk to my stand I drag a rag behind me with some doe pee on it. And spray the bottom of my boots with doe pee...
2. Deer can only hear a little better than us. BUT, they have the ability to pick out, to the tree, where the noise is coming from. So when calling, once you see a deer, don't call unless its turned away from you or they will pick you out.
3. Call often. At least every 10 to 15 minutes. And do it loud. You have to remember, your trying to get a deer to come to you from at least 100 plus yards away most of the time. And if they cant hear you call they wont come over...
4. DON'T!!!! grab or pull your bow back unless they are looking the OTHER way. Even when they are look striate on they can still see you move..
Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
3. Call often. At least every 10 to 15 minutes. And do it loud. You have to remember, your trying to get a deer to come to you from at least 100 plus yards away most of the time. And if they cant hear you call they wont come over...
I have killed a lot of deer, and I have only called in one of them. That was a buck who was in a very cranky mood. I think most people would say to call less. If you hear someone talking, but you dont see anyone aren't you going to think something screwy is going on? If that works for you then keep it up!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
4. DON'T!!!! grab or pull your bow back unless they are looking the OTHER way. Even when they are look striate on they can still see you move..
Brings up a question that I don't remember the answer to....what kind of depth perception does a deer have?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

1- Don’t fall asleep
2- Don’t drop your bow
3- Don’t drop your arrows
4- Don’t forget to bring your release.
5- Don’t worry so much, just go have fun.. You’ll learn more every trip!

6- Don't vote for Obama!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Spike

All very valid points guys. I'd have to say the biggest tip I can give would be don't just hunt the wind to keep your scent from where the deer are going. That is obvious yes but the biggest thing that has kept me on mature deer is being able to keep my scent away from the deer but also still be in a position that makes the wind direction helpful to the buck as well. Such as down wind of doe bedding areas with a pond or bluff right at your back so he can smell the does but not get downwind of you, not possible in every stand setup but make locations such as these top priority! Also, entry and EXIT routes are extremely important.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

Don't get upset about a deer walking away without getting or taking a shot - you are bowhunting after all and that is normal - enjoy the experience. And don't go wishing that you had a gun, instead wish for another chance another day. It's the ones that get away that you'll remember best (character builders, lol).

Practice at 40yds so you can kill comfortably at 20yds - part of the thrill of bowhunting comes with being able to get it done at close range.

-fsh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.