Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips. >

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I think a beginner needs to focus on learning deer behavior. Forget the gadgets for the most part. After a couple years hunting you will figure out what "extra" equipment may work for you. Too many beginners just buy stuff and if they don't have success they figure it is because their stuff isn't working, so they buy different stuff. The call-makers and scent makers love it.

Here's a tip. Try to figure a way to access your stands without walking on deer trails. Deer trails can be very tempting to walk on because they are usually a bit easier walking. I know I used to do it. This will tip the deer off to your presence sooner or later.

There's no better tree-stand advice than this - wear your harness. Get into the habit of using it and stick with it.

Tree stand access routes are often overlooked IMO. Over the last couple of years, i've paid much more attention to the ways that I come and go from stands, and it has paid off. Taking the shortest route possible may be the quickest way, but it is often not the best way for the lay of the land, or the habits of the deer. Walking farther is seldom an attractive option, especially with a stand on your back, but an extra 100 yards can make a huge difference if it means not spooking deer. I always do my absolute best to avoid obvious food sources when i'm entering and exiting my stands. These areas can have deer on them at any time of day, so avoiding them can reduce your spook percentage.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

hmm im sure i have one, oh practice out of a treestand if possible, if not climb up on your shed or roof or your house or shoot out of a window, this helped me alot when i first started bow hunting because i always shot high.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Tree stand access routes are often overlooked IMO. Over the last couple of years, i've paid much more attention to the ways that I come and go from stands, and it has paid off. Taking the shortest route possible may be the quickest way, but it is often not the best way for the lay of the land, or the habits of the deer. Walking farther is seldom an attractive option, especially with a stand on your back, but an extra 100 yards can make a huge difference if it means not spooking deer. I always do my absolute best to avoid obvious food sources when i'm entering and exiting my stands. These areas can have deer on them at any time of day, so avoiding them can reduce your spook percentage.
To expand on this when choosing stand sites if you hunt in area the southeast where is lots of thick under growth go in and cut a path around the deer trails this will help prevent you from leaving your scent, and also making a bunch of noise pushing through the growth when walking to your stand plus if you do it early enough when the it starts to gorw back the deer will feed on the tender new growth. Another thing ive found is know how the sun travels in relation to your site, a couple of years ago I found the perfect location for my stand so I thought it was a "super highway" between bedding a bedding area, water, and food, so I set up the third day a nice 8pt was feeding 20yds in front of me when I reached for my bow the shadow I was casting spooked him. Hope this helps someoneSorry for the long post.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

one of the places i hunt has a creek that runs through it. i use the creek to (1) get to my stand or ground spot. i even have spots right beside the creek on the ground, deer get thirsty!(2) use the water from it as a natural cover scent for your boots and in a spray bottle for the rest of your clothes so you'll smell more like your surroundings. (3) it's great for quiet walking and stalking as long as you are not splashing loudly, it's a natural sound.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Spike

I believe that there are 5 required elements to succesfully harvesting deer with archery equipment:

1. Hunt an area that hold a fair amount of deer - scouting, getting permission to hunt property
2. You must be able to get within your effective range of the deer - stand placement, moving on the stand, cover / camo, wind, scent management
3. You must be able to get off a good shot at the deer - shooting skills, when to shoot, movement in the stand, noise, wind
4. You must be able to hit the kill area - shooting skills, buck fever, equipment
5. You must be able to recover the deer after the shot - tracking, wind, how long to wait, watch and listen after the shot

I know these seem very basic but if you think about it, success is not possible without doing all 5 and there are special learned skills required in each one. I agree with a previous comment that some new hunters focus too much on the latest fad or gizzmo and not enough on the 5 basic elements.

Anybody you know that consistently takes deer / bucks with a bow is skilled in all 5 elements.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

1-Deer flicking its tail & ears feeding-unaware of you
2-Deer frozen-ears stiff, something is amis & if nothing happens they will go back to feedeing
3-Deer stomping-something they really don't like-sight OR smell. Usually will walk or trot off.
4-Deer Frozen, staring at you-usually they have spotted you. Freeze, game not always over. Sometimes, if your frozen they will go back to feeding or whatever.
5-Deer tail starting to come up slowly-probably getting ready to leave your area.
6-Deer tail up, bounding away. Something wrong & danger for them
7-Deer tail tucked in & bounding away-same-Wrong & Danger.

We all know they have that terrific nose but they also hear the things that are NOT NORMAL to the woods-a arrow clicking on the side of a bow, your cloths rubbing against a tree or when you draw.

I Bowhunt from stands between 12 & 15 feet. Just move slow when you move. I've taken deer at feet from this height. Over 100 deer with a Bow & 95% of them under 20 yds...

If your new, you'll form your own style. it's good to listen to others but you are the one who will learn from what you experience in the field. good luck to any newcomer-it's a great sport for sure..

Pic is my 1st archery kill in 1958
Attached Thumbnails Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.-scan0053.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Spike

Couple small tips that could prevent somebody a big headache when trying to bag their deer.

1. If you have your grunt call, ranger finder, or whatever around your neck. Find a way to tuck it out of the way so it stays clear when you draw back. You dont wanna draw back and lean over the edge to take a shot and have it caught in the string. Draw your bow back and see if your gear is clear.

2. If you wear a face mask you should draw your bow back and aim at an object. Does your mask move and obstruct your vision when you turn your head to aim at your target? Find a mask that works for you.

3. Test out your tree stand when you first get up there. Any new creaking sounds? If so try to avoid stepping in the area that causes the noise until you can properly fix it.

4. Know your limitations. Ask yourself, if there is a deer by that tree can I make that shot. Picture a deer in different areas around you and ask yourself can I make that shot. This way you dont have to make that decision when he is standing there.

5. Inspect your bow before and after hunts. Never know if you sliced your string so bad that the next time your draw back you get a surprise. Not only inspect your string but thoroughly examine the entire bow.

Hope this is useful for someone out there...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

This is a hard one to learn and I doubt few have mastered it, but when you have a shot take it...I have missed many oppotunities for a kill just waiting for a "perfect" shot.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Spike

I watched a video on the life span of a whitetail deer, it was not a hunting video. It started with the birth of a deer and it takes you through it's life struggles and day to day living until it is fully mature. If you understand them it makes things clearer. Every hunting , video, book or article states get between the bedding and feeding areas and while there is wisdom in that statement there is a lot more going on, I believe the name of the video was " The way of the whitetail" but not 100% sure, worth watching.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Soak up as much information as you can. Whether it's reading information online, in a book/magazine, listening to stories from other hunters, or even watching shows online you never know where you might pick something up. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try something new or try out a different tactic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.