HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   smoothest pulling bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/326892-smoothest-pulling-bow.html)

cty100 08-01-2010 01:04 PM

smoothest pulling bow

my uncle is coming back from shoulder surgery, speed is not a factor. What would be the smoothest drawing bow? I have heard that hoyts have a really smooth draw, not sure if true?

bigcountry 08-01-2010 01:14 PM

A straight 66" longbow. Not joking either.

Fieldmouse 08-01-2010 01:26 PM

Thats true however if he wants a compound go with an Oneida bow. Not a smoother compound on the market.

Sniggle 08-01-2010 02:56 PM

I tried the Z7, Destroyer and the Maxxis, and for me I found the Maxis to be the smoothest on the draw back. So I bought one.

shoot2thrill25 08-01-2010 03:01 PM

Stay away from the destroyers, IMO those things have a vicious draw cycle. All that speed has to come from somewhere tho. I shoot a hoyt, so I am used to a smoother drawing bow. I havent pulled as many of the new bows as some guys on here, so I cant speak about any others, but that destroyer was the opposite of smooth.

diamondrack 08-01-2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by shoot2thrill25 (Post 3656682)
Stay away from the destroyers, IMO those things have a vicious draw cycle. All that speed has to come from somewhere tho. I shoot a hoyt, so I am used to a smoother drawing bow. I havent pulled as many of the new bows as some guys on here, so I cant speak about any others, but that destroyer was the opposite of smooth.

I shoot the Destroyer 340 and it is far from having a "vicious cycle", like you had said you haven't shot many of the new bows and probably not the destroyer then either.. Yes it does have awesome speed, but it also is rather smooth and easy to draw.. not what you would expect from what some may consider a "speed bow"... I've shot almost every bow on the market and especially the newest bows.. not a fan at all of the Hoyts or PSE. The mathews Z7 is also a very smooth and easy draw.. Also, try to look into some of the diamonds like the Iceman or black Ice... My dad has bad shoulders and back he loves his diamond black ice, 60#.. I would recommend him trying something that is in the 50-60# range, so it doesn't wear to much on an already weakened limb..

my7pointmonster 08-01-2010 08:36 PM

my maxxis 31 is the smoothest drawing bow I've ever shot, maybe take a look at that one, at 62# i'm getting 298 fps.

Ryan.

bigbucks98 08-01-2010 10:20 PM

hoyt not a doubt about it best bows on the market.

luke/r 08-02-2010 12:36 AM

Take a look at the Diamond BlackIce.

OHbowhntr 08-02-2010 12:49 AM

Diamond Black Ice or a Hoyt Alphamax35 are the two nicest drawing bows I've shot...:happy0001:

country_guy9734 08-02-2010 03:32 AM

hoyt katera 70# draw 336 fps ...... smooth as all get out

cty100 08-02-2010 05:27 AM

I think he is going to stay in the 50 lbs range. the days of pulling 70lbs. are probable done.
Thanks for the responses so far
chris

YooperMike 08-02-2010 06:43 AM

If you are serious about smooth drawing, especially with shoulder trouble, I think (GASP) that a Mathews bow is very hard to beat in the smoothness category. Singla cam bows are inherently easier to draw just by design, plus the Mathews sincle cam is rounder than most. Take the Monster or Z7 out of the equation since they kind og go against that statement. A Switchback-type bow will be an excellent choice. I've never been a Mathews, only Bowtech for me, but my left shoulder is about done, so i'm also in the same boat. Any of the new agressive cam speed bows are going to be tough to draw, the speed is coming from somewhere. They may be "smooth" but they all have a hump in the cycle to roll the cam over.

shoot2thrill25 08-02-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by diamondrack (Post 3656759)
I shoot the Destroyer 340 and it is far from having a "vicious cycle", like you had said you haven't shot many of the new bows and probably not the destroyer then either.. Yes it does have awesome speed, but it also is rather smooth and easy to draw.. not what you would expect from what some may consider a "speed bow"... I've shot almost every bow on the market and especially the newest bows.. not a fan at all of the Hoyts or PSE. The mathews Z7 is also a very smooth and easy draw.. Also, try to look into some of the diamonds like the Iceman or black Ice... My dad has bad shoulders and back he loves his diamond black ice, 60#.. I would recommend him trying something that is in the 50-60# range, so it doesn't wear to much on an already weakened limb..

I have shot the destroyer and mentioned that it was one of the few I had, and that to me it had a rough draw cycle. When I say that it has a tough draw cycle, I am talking about the very hard dump off when the cams roll over. I can't and won't ever tell my feelings or thoughts on things that I haven't used. When I say many of the new bows, I am talking about about the whole spectrum. z7's, maxxis's, matrix's, destroyers, I have. An IMO the bowtech was rough. Sorry If I offended you or your bow:party0005:

W.IL.BowHunter 08-02-2010 05:40 PM

Cty 100 if your uncle just had surgery he might also want to look into a release aid called The Rip Shot it fastens to your elbow and hooks to your release and you pull with your back muscles .

Check out there web site www.Ripshot.com you can hold your draw longer and even have a free hand for calling at full draw . I too have shoulder problems and i just won one on ebay and can't wait to get it i love the idea of not using my wrist and forarm . I have seen them in Keystone Country Store .com just trying to help ;-)

PY Antlers 08-03-2010 04:35 AM

A Mathews Drenalin XL, smoothest I have found. I think it's even better than the new Z7.

OhioBowhunter 08-03-2010 10:16 AM

any mathews after the outback (dxt drenalin monster switchback z7 ect) but then again my fred bear truth 1 is amazingly smooth at 55# with 80% let off but then again its not as fast as the bows i named, all of which i have shot so im not just blowing steam or anything

Doubled 150 08-03-2010 10:45 AM

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin. Very smooth draw. Shot bows from Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE and Bear when I was shopping for a new bow in '07 or early '08. None were as smooth as the Drenalin. My brother has a Z7. I shot it and it is not as smooth of draw as my bow. I have not shot any of the newer Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, or others (2009's or 2010's) so I can't comment on those. IMO, of course.

MeanV2 08-03-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by luke/r (Post 3656831)

I Agree with this the Black Ice has a very Nice, Smooth draw cycle. One of the best you will find and on a very Nice shooting, very Quiet bow as well.

Anyone who thinks the Destroyers have a vicious draw cycle needs to shot one at the correct draw length. It is a very smooth bow in my opinion and when you consider it is a Speed bow it is Extremely smooth. :)

Dan

fingerz42 08-04-2010 08:37 AM

Mathews DXT.. havent pulled a bow back that feels smoother from beginning all the way to rollover.

SouthDakotaHunter 08-04-2010 04:16 PM

I have several shoulder dislocations under my belt thanks to old sports injuries... I have owned and shot a lot of bows over the years and the ones I find the easiest to draw (on my shoulder at least) are single cam bows... Last year I shot a Bowtech Captain and that was a very nice shooting bow but if my shoulder would have started to bother me I would have switched over to my Black Ice...

IMO - not all single cam bows are the same... I feel that my Black Ice has a much 'easier' draw cycle than say a Ross Cardiac... If he has shoulder issues, I would check out the Black Ice or one of the Mathews Single Cam bows (the Switchbacks are really nice drawing too)...

I pull in the low 50's and my arrow always blows right through - just as important as draw weight or speed is arrow weight - stick with a heavier arrow to help offset the lower draw weight and he should be alright....

The Rev 08-04-2010 05:33 PM

Bowtech Destroyer 340 hands down, I've shot all the new bows and this bow is amazing. Mathews Z7 is like a freight train compared to the destoryer.
BTW my sponsor carries both Bowtech and Mathews, I'm not saying that just to promote Bowtech.

matt068 08-04-2010 07:39 PM

I have a bowtech admiral I thought was smooth I shot bowtech destroyer 340 tonight I was amazed a bow could fling an arrow that fast and yet draw like butter i was impressed. I shot all the others as well z7, bear attack was quite nice also hoyt not bad but destroyer wins hands down. Truly amazing I was going to hunt w/ admiral that may change !

conquest 08-04-2010 07:42 PM

Elite Z28 is really smooth and the Diampond black Ice

raider54 08-05-2010 04:54 AM

That was a bad question for an open forum.....lol So far you have just about every bow ever made as being the smoothest, Heck one fella even threw in an Oneida.....lol:popcorn::popcorn:

raider54 08-05-2010 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by bigbucks98 (Post 3656825)
hoyt not a doubt about it best bows on the market.

Says who?......Hey while you are at it! try Camo too! they are the best clothes around.......lol:guiness:

BDC 08-06-2010 09:27 AM

I know you guys love your Destroyer 340s but the smoothest bow from bowtech is the SWAT. The SWAT is way smoother than any bow out right now hands down.

The Rev 08-06-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by raider54 (Post 3658462)
That was a bad question for an open forum.....lol So far you have just about every bow ever made as being the smoothest, Heck one fella even threw in an Oneida.....lol:popcorn::popcorn:

Now that's funny I don't care who you are ONEIDA..:happy0157:

Urban_Redneck 08-07-2010 04:15 AM

I shot my friend's Z7 last night... IMHO, a cam with more valley is better for a bad shoulder and hunting.

LKNCHOPPERS 08-07-2010 05:00 AM

Smooth Draw

Originally Posted by luke/r (Post 3656831)

These bows are very smooth with good speed. If you want a speed bow you will never have a smooth draw cycle.

Ken/WV 08-08-2010 10:41 AM

Z7 is the smoothest bow I have pulled.

critterkiller88 08-08-2010 04:59 PM

my martin is pretty smooth... but i havent shot a mathews. have shot my buddies hoyt, and it was very nice, but had a heavier draw which made it less smooth for me. im a lefty so i dont get to grab everyones bow and shoot it! yall are lucky haha

Geronimo 08-08-2010 07:37 PM

Ditto on the Diamond Black Ice.....

blakefrautschi 08-09-2010 12:50 PM

some of my favorite, and im a fan of the smooth draw... were the diamond black ice, mathews DXT, mathews Drenaline, and bear truth 2, the bear was set quite a bit lower in poundage than i usually shoot, but it seemed pretty smooth.
but the mathews DXT/Drenaline and the diamond Black Ice are sweet shootin bows!

nctaxi 08-09-2010 04:45 PM

The problem is that it all depends on his shoulders. I have rotator cup tendonitis (sp?) and I drew many many bows before buying one. I went with Bowtech because for ME it drew smoother than any of the others. I tried Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and a few others but for me the Bowtech was the easiest, smoothest draw. Take him to a pro shop and have him decide what draws best for him. Plain and simple.