Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
size restrictions >

size restrictions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

size restrictions

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

in wisconsin i won't shoot a buck unless it has atleast 4 points on a side and the antlers exceed the ears. and must be 3 1/2 or older. i'll try to shoot as many does as i'm allowed seeing how our ratio is not the greatest.

in mississippi the antlers must make it past the ears and have atleast 3 points on a side. and must be 3 1/2 years or older
Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my eye on a big doe where I have been hunting the last few years. She has been eluding me. She is very big, and smart.
As far a bucks, I wont shoot anything smaller than a 6 point, unless they are a big bodied deer. But, if it gets down to the last few days and I still don't have a deer on the ground, then all bets are off.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

I am hunting 3 states this year and I will probably fill the freezer with 5-6 doe's. I any bucks go down they will be 140" or bigger.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Spike

One or two Mature Doe. Pope and young buck, nice buck in velvet (first one, at least an 8) or a good old wacky rack.

Dustin
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

No Does, Buck must be 140 or bigger. (rebuilding our deer herd)
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have state imposed antler restrictions. 4 points a side or 3 points a side, depending on where in the state.

I think any decent 8 point or bigger would get whacked on opening day of rifle. In early archery, I may try to hold out for something 120" or bigger. But I may be tempted by something smaller. Hard to say. In the late season, any legal buck will do.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
WIth the season coming up we all have set restrictions on what we will kill and what we will pass on.

So what are your restrictions and what are you hoping for.

I would be happy with a doe since I am still deerless. A nice size doe would be great but as far has bucks go I will shoot any large body 6 or a ok 8 point. If I am sitting at the start of muzzleloader with no deer I will probably end up dropping the first that does not have spots.

we also dont allow guest until after thanksgiving, and they are allowed whatever we impose on them at the time...but usually its fair game.